Forums are back in action! ×

All my excuses.

So today I restart my journey to a healthier lifestyle.

I thought it would be a good idea to voice all of my excuses for not doing this and sticking to it so hopefully I'll never have to think about them again and they can stop hindering me.

• I seem to be the slowest weight looser on the planet. I've done healthy eating programs with friends and while they are dropping all the weight I seem to get no where.
  • I live with my family and none of them want to eat healthier, so I am constantly surrounded by bad food all of the time.
  • My busy social life keeps me in fast food outlets.
  • I have a weak body that wants to faint the moment it is inconvenient.
  • Due to recent money trouble I can't go to gym.
  • I think I'm obsessed with food, It's all I can think about honestly. 
  • I'm not a great cook.
  • I'm an emotional eater and life hasn't been great.

Okay I think that's it. Anyone want to help me rip my excuses to shreds so that I can start afresh? 

Also if anyone is willing to be my sponsor? team mate? the jedi mater to my padawan?

Thanks guys, super happy to be here!

• Like 1

Maybe we should connect and talk a little more. Almost all of those (cooking being the one exception) were MY excuses until I stopped letting myself get in my own way. I'm not going to "rip" on your excuses, because if you want to hang onto those reasons and avoid making something happen, that's on you. But I will tell you that you'd be surprised how much you can accomplish with no cash, no gym, no family support and a LOT of commitment/heart/discipline. The last part is the most important part. If you'd like to chat more...message me! I'd love to help, but only if you're willing to put the work in. No one can motivate you to do something you're not ready to do. 

Welcome!

• Like 2

danica

Level 3 Warrior Assassin 

See my instagram for photos of my training and also my Sphynx cats.

I log my daily programming at my battle log.

Challenges: Current - Warrior 2 - Warrior 1

Holmes, I got your back on this. 

You have things in your arsenal to help you! You wrote these things up as your excuses, but in there? You have a ton strengths that you can use. If you are a role playing character, you have no dump stats! Everything on your sheet is something that you can use as an advantage in some way.  You are INCREDIBLY SELF AWARE. 

But, given that you did say you wanted someone to help you rip your excuses, I'm gonna give it my best. 

1: You are NOT a not-great cook : you might be a little unprepared, but you're very clearly a smart and self-aware person. I'll bet there's at least one or two things that you can cook that you feel like you do well. Cooking can, at times, require awkward levels of vigilance. I'll bet we can find you a couple recipes that aren't intimidating that you can follow. And if they suck? So what, try a different one! It might not be that you're a bad cook, it could just be that you haven't found recipes you like. 

You say you are obsessed with food, so go all D&D ranger on food. Make food your favored enemy. Study food. Observe food in its natural habitat. Learn its every weakness and perfect your food-hunting skills. Then? Kick. Food's. Butt. Go straight up evil on that food. Slaughter vegetables en masse. Corrupt those around you into helping you with your food crusade. Be the spectre which asparagus whispers about in hushed tones- bake, grill, broil, steam. If it sounds like something that would be unpleasant to happen to a human, it is probably delicious when it's applied to squash. 

2: You might have underlying health issues you might want to look into: You said you have a weak body that wants to faint at the hint of strain and you lose weight slowly. If funds permit, I would talk to your doctor about this because it might be indicative of other underlying issues that are giving you the fits. I'm not a doctor, and this is not medical advice, but speaking from personal experience my weight gains were indicative of a larger issue. They might be, or they might not be, but knowing will help you attack your fitness goals. 

2a: Your body is not weak: Your body gets you from point A to point B every day. It squats, lifts, trots, jostles, dances, and a host of other things. It might not be as resilient as you'd like, but your body is strong. We just have to find the way that it is strong and run with it. You might be super flexible and you don't know it. You could be a secret badass lifting machine. You could be the Terminator when it comes to hiking. Your body has the ability to persevere. It is strong, and it is yours

Just remember: you don't have dump stats. 

• Like 3

-S t a r . R u b y -

HEROES NEVER DIE

heatherallyse

Not being a great cook is no excuse. Find a recipe, buy the ingredients, follow the directions step by step (read all of them before you start! Very important!) and boom. You made something.

I mean, don't start with like, gourmet french dishes that take a million hours of prep. But there are a huge number of very easy recipes that you can find on the internet.

If your family fills the cupboards with terrible food, make your own little stash. Ask if you can have one drawer in the fridge to keep your expirables in, and find a drawer or box somewhere to put your nonperishables. You are no longer allowed to eat food not in your stash.

Being obsessed with food doesn't have to be a bad thing. Just turn that obsession into learning how to make really tasty and also healthy foods. Then amaze your friends and family with your ability to cook, and trick them into eating something healthy without even realizing it! (Hint: step one is finding those easy recipes online that I mentioned.)

[PS: Maybe look into what the minimum caloric needs are for your body. (Look online for a BMR calculator.) If you feel weak and faint easily, and are always thinking about eating, it might be that you're not actually getting enough food! Or it could be something else. I have no way of knowing, but it's just something to look into.]

Here's something else to think about: you can't afford the gym, but you can afford to eat out with friends all the time? Where is the fast food money coming from?

You don't necessarily need a gym membership, but maybe some of your snacking money can be set aside to buy some resistance bands.

• Like 2