Forums are back in action! ×

Character backstory; need thoughts

Ok, so this isn't exactly about books.  But I figure writing fits best in the reading sub-forum.  And I'm most likely to get some good thoughts here.  

So!  I'm writing a backstory for my characters in the Star Wars universe.  I'm planning two characters, who are brothers about 8-ish years apart.  I have one backstory mostly complete, and I'm in the process of outlining the second one.  Both characters are Force sensitive.  For reference, and if anyone feels like reading it, the first characters incomplete backstory is here.

My question to you, nerds, is: would you give them both similar Force abilities, or make them drastically different?  I'm not planning any kind of actual novel.  Just a (hopefully) cohesive backstory to go with the characters.  

Thanks!! 

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

One of my favorite brotherly relationships is from George R. R. Martin's a Song of Ice and Fire with Tyrion and Jaime, not sure what book it is in but:

When Jaime loses his hand, he suddenly has to use his mind to get out of a jam, much like Tyrion has to, and he even thinks "What would Tyrion do." Tyrion also thinks "What would Jaime do in this situation? When he is captured. They are very different but they both love each other and look up to each other. Jaime admires Tyrion's brain while Tyrion admires Jaime's strength.

That mirrors my relationship with my brother because I spent so much time focusing on our differences that I didn't realize there was mutual respect and love despite, or even because of, our differences.

• Like 1

Miles ran consecutively: 13.1/26.2

50%
50%

Pushups done consecutively: 16/20

80%
80%

Depends, are the characters drastically different? If so then the different powers would make sense.

Even if they are similar I'd give them some unique abilities, just cause it will make writing more fun.

One of my favorite brotherly relationships is from George R. R. Martin's a Song of Ice and Fire with Tyrion and Jaime, not sure what book it is in but:

When Jaime loses his hand, he suddenly has to use his mind to get out of a jam, much like Tyrion has to, and he even thinks "What would Tyrion do." Tyrion also thinks "What would Jaime do in this situation? When he is captured. They are very different but they both love each other and look up to each other. Jaime admires Tyrion's brain while Tyrion admires Jaime's strength.

That mirrors my relationship with my brother because I spent so much time focusing on our differences that I didn't realize there was mutual respect and love despite, or even because of, our differences.

Thank you both!  I'd not really considered those points.  I definitely want to make them unique, but similar.  If that makes sense?  Similarly unique?  Uniquely similar?  I don't know.  

I never read the Ice and Fire books, but even so I can still see that dichotomy in the TV series, though I'm sure it's not as pronounced in that.  

Thanks!!  

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

Thank you both! I'd not really considered those points. I definitely want to make them unique, but similar. If that makes sense? Similarly unique? Uniquely similar? I don't know.

I never read the Ice and Fire books, but even so I can still see that dichotomy in the TV series, though I'm sure it's not as pronounced in that.

Thanks!!

In that case I'd use the same general abilities but tweak them.

Like say a force field ability, one brothers could reflect laser blasts back at the enemy showing a more aggressive, darker side. While the others might just absorb the blasts strengthening the shield showing a more gentle character.

• Like 1

Good call!  I think I've gotten the abilities taken care of at this point.  Some are same/similar, some are totally different.  

One more question, if I can.  I feel like one of the brothers should die, but I'm not sure which and I'm not sure how.  Any ideas or suggestions or examples would be greatly appreciated.  For story reference, this is all set during the timeline of the video game: Star Wars: The Old Republic.  Neither brother knows of their relationship, and the Light Side brother tracks down the Dark Side brother just as the war breaks out.  

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™