Forums are back in action! ×

Greetings from ScumlordAzazel

I am a busy college student who for most of her life was very much sedentary. I would try sports and get bored with them and quit. The longest physical activity I ever stuck with was Tae Kwon Do for a couple years but I didn't apply myself too hard and stopped just before reaching my black belt.

Several years after that I started dating a runner. Within the first week of us dating he half-jokingly asked if I wanted to go spectate at the Tough Mudder he was going to participate in that weekend and I said yes. It was a horrible experience for me. I loved being able to cheer him on but I really wish they had provided water to the spectators as well as the participants because walking several miles in the hot Florida sun over the span of several hours left me rather dehydrated and miserable. When half-a-year later he said he wanted to do it again I said that I still wanted to cheer him on but I never wanted to be a spectator for it again so I signed up to run it myself.

I picked up running (promising myself I'd never train for more than a half marathon) and got to where I could at least go at least 30 minutes without resting. Unfortunately, I wore crap shoes and hurt my knees because of it. I put on 15 pounds after because I ate more to reward myself and almost completely stopped running except for the first ever 5K I managed to do on the first of last year.

It wasn't until James broke up with me that I started to get back in shape. I became a vegetarian for various reasons and started to run short distances with my mom most mornings. I lost the extra 15 lbs I had put on and felt good enough about it that when a different friend expressed interest in doing the Tough Mudder again I said yes. My physical strength appalled me that day.

I decided to get back on a proper running program and start strength-training so I could be in shape for the next years Tough Mudder. Mostly though, I wanted to continue to improve as a runner (and changed my mind about running distances past 13.1 miles). I found a 10K program I liked and started it at the first of the year after getting back to where I was previously. I've been doing pretty well with it, except for the weight-training it recommends. I get too self-conscious about messing up to feel comfortable in a gym but I kind of need a set place to go in order to motivate myself. Home is too close to my computer. I decided to research on proper technique and good programs to try and found Nerd Fitness. I love the idea of making healthy habits more like a video game so after stalking some of the articles for a few days I chose to become a more active member of this community.

I'm hoping Nerd Fitness can help me become a better, stronger, healthier runner as well as enable me to dominate this years Central Florida Tough Mudder.

• Like 1

Run a half-marathon by the end of the year (miles out of 13.1):

35%
35%

Welcome to the rebellion!

Looks like you are ready to start your first challenge as a recruit! This is a great link to make this happen.

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/58253-challenge-instructions-updated-jan-1-2015/

The next challenge starts 2/23 but the threads should be up soon. Lot's of Tough Mudders around here ( not me yet).

Let me know if you have any questions Please!

Level 36 Ranger Sorcerer 

Current challenge