Forums are back in action! ×

Hailing from the netherlands

Hi there,

I've been investigating (sounds familiar? :P) a lot of different ways and means to get in shape. Started out with a (probably) famous instruction video by susanna light back in her bodyrock days. Started reading on the HIIT stuff, and generally just watching Susanna strut her stuff and remaining inactive.

Then I thought "why not start running to work? Using this freerunning/parkour stuff?" and that was my first introduction to nerdfitness.com. But lo and behold, still no activity, sure, I did some half assed attempts at the first couple of exercises, only to let myself be stumped by "can't do pull-ups, no pull-up bar available, meh". And that was the end of it (did see some awesome videos in the process though).

Hmm, hey, there's a longboard for sale at the local supermarket (90 euro, down to 50 for some special promotion, and a week later, end of summer, 50% off of the promotion price. 25 euro, not bad :P), but alas, it is vastly different from skateboarding and in comes the excuse: the weather sucks. 

So, a couple of weeks ago, they had some fitness stuff for sale at Lidl. Bought a dumbbell (after finding nerdfitness.com again for some unrelated to the above stuff, but ending up reading a boatload about paleo, succes stories and the basic body weight workout), and a pull up bar!! Only to find out I have absolutely 0 doors to which to attach it to. They're always next to a wall in my house, so there's 0 room for the sides of the bar to hold on to the door frame >_< woops.

Today I did my first circuit of the basic bodyweight workout. Only to find out I had to do 3 circuits instead of 2. Then again, it's a good thing to work up to. 3 circuits in a row :D I just about managed 2 and my push ups are the worst right now.

Now for who I am: my first name is Gerald. I've been using the handle/nickname cavey since a very long time (somewhere early 90's?). I had to have a handle for the c64 demoscene I'm still a part of. My daily work consists of managing and maintaining a set of core business applications at the university of applied sciences in Rotterdam (Hogeschool Rotterdam). My partner and I have a 2 year old son together who's growing up so fast. He is extremely proud of his belly (eventhough it's kinda flat :P but he wants to have the same belly as his father. "Dikke buik" (fat belly).) That kinda spurred me on to do something about the sorry state my body is in.

I used to be quite toned, before I started my job in Rotterdam. I was able to bike to my previous job everyday (roundtrip of approx 22km) and had a nice hour long lunchbreak which I used for going to the local arcade and work my body of on the Dance Dance Revolution and In the Groove machines. 

So here I am, 100kg heavy, looking for a 20kg reduction of that weight and buffing up in the process. My ideal body weight, according to BMI, would be in the region of 76kg, leaving me a scrawny man. So I am aiming for my previous weight of 80-83kg. 

Well, cheerios!! I probably won't be too active in posting, but I'll read up a lot ^_^

• Like 1