Forums are back in action! ×

Exercises to get you to bar dips?

One of my big goals right now is to be able to do a dip and a pull-up. I can't do either!

In order to get there... I've been doing bodyweight rows (Smith machine, bar just above my waist, 3x6 is about all I can manage) and incline pushups (bar at mid thigh, 3x8 or 10). Also doing one-arm dumbbell rows (3x8 @25#), lat pulldowns (3x8 @70#) and tricep rope pulldowns (3x5 @75#). And I'm still losing weight which I think will help a lot!

That said, most of those things are said to help get you to a pull-up, but I haven't found much about training for dips. Are there any specific supportive exercises for dips? Or is it just more tricep, back and shoulder training?

Also, is it helpful to push yourself up on the dip bars and hold? I can do that...I just can't really lower myself down.

i did bench dips, then elevated feet bench dips.

also close grip pushups.

its always helpful to hang out in the upper position of a dip.

also, yes. losing weight helps because you're lifting less weight :)

I'm no longer an active member here. Please keep in touch:
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”

The assisted dip/pull-up machine works great for me.

i would personally use bands over an assistance machine. never been a fan of the assistance machines.

I'm no longer an active member here. Please keep in touch:
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”

i did bench dips, then elevated feet bench dips.

also close grip pushups.

its always helpful to hang out in the upper position of a dip.

also, yes. losing weight helps because you're lifting less weight :)

Thank you! Just looked up bench dips on ExRx, l think I can definitely handle those, if not the elevated variety. Can't wait to try em out!

For close grip pushups, is it worthwhile to do those while I'm still on incline pushups/knee pushups, or should I wait til I can do real regular pushups on the floor?

I feel like the losing weight part is *almost* like cheating...but a cheat I'll gladly embrace! :)

i would personally use bands over an assistance machine. never been a fan of the assistance machines.

Yeah, I started out on the assistance machine and I never felt like I really improved at all...I never could lessen the assistance past a certain point. Plus the one at our gym is sort of a pneumatic antique that gets stuck in the up position every once in a while, and I have to do a 6' jump to the ground. Un-fun!

I did just get the band suggestion from my PT too. Going to try that, but I think I need a little more training before I can do it.

You can use two parallel objects kind of low to the ground to take your legs out of the movement by putting them on the ground, reducing the weight moved and still using the same basic position and range of motion. I personally don't like Bench Dips because they seem kind of awkward to me, but if you like them you could use those too.