Forums are back in action! ×

question about dumbell rows

i have been doing dumbell rows for awhile now but, until checking out nerd fitness, i was sticking with the "less weight, more reps" philosophy. this past week, i decided to up the weight a bit when i did the beginner body weight workout...considering it's only 10 reps as opposed to the 15 i used to do, i figured that made sense. so i used 15 lbs. that was still pretty easy so yesterday i used 20 lbs. oh, that did it! it was actually hard for the first time. so i think 20 lbs is where i need to be right now. anyway, while doing the exercise, i felt it in my arm and shoulder mostly...but i'm not sure that's correct. today, i am definitely sore but it's sort of a dull ache all along my shoulders, shoulder blades, and upper arms.

i guess i'm just wondering if this is where the exercise is supposed to be felt...i know it's a back exercise and i want to make sure i'm using proper form (i'm trying to work my way towards pull ups).

A few things to focus when doing them: 1) don't bend your wrist to try and make the DB come up to your chest. Keep it straight (I've had this problem when I get tired), 2) Make sure you are throwing your elbow straight back like you are going to trying to jab someone in the ribs. It helps to keep the arm close to the body and not have your elbow kick out during the exercise.

But otherwise, gratz on levelling up :)

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

Agree with everything that was said. Part of what makes an exercise effective is where your focus is while doing it. Focus on your back as you complete the lift. That will help you target the right muscle.

For Collin....I will level up my life with the lessons you taught me

My attempt at a blog: just54days.wordpress.com

Battle Log: http://nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?5775-MacNip-s-Growing-Up-(Hopefully)