Forums are back in action! ×

Nerve impingement in cervical spine from squats...

So, last night I went back to PT after a 4 week break...not by choice, but because of insurance nonsense.

Anyway, my therapist was impressed with my progress (thanks to all here who've given me great advice!) and did a form check on all my lifts and I'm doing great. However, I admitted I've been getting some pain on the outside of my upper arm after doing back squats. Its a deep, 'electrical' pain that comes on either a few hours after lifting, or the next morning, and goes away in a few hours; and it hops from one arm to the other depending on the day. Ice helps. He said that this was probably C5/6 nerve impingement and wants me to switch to front squats.

Of course, I'm going to follow orders, but...I miss back squats already! They make me feel so GRRRRR! Just wondering if any of you experienced nerve impingement in the cervical spine and what you did about it. Also, if I have to do front squats from here on out, what am I missing, strength building wise?

Front squats work more quadriceps and less glutes and hamstrings, if I remember correctly. The front squats will give you strong abs.

You can compensate with deadlifts or hip thrusts.

Thanks! Good to know front squats work the abs hard, core strength is key for my lower discs. I'm deadlifting on the regular... Gonna try adding in those hip thrusts. Seems like a good progression from bridges, which I am doing but which seem way too easy now. Also, they look fun.