Forums are back in action! ×

starting again, need some heavy lifting recommendations

posted this in introductions, but it fits much better here:

so might as well post here since i'm basically starting over again:

did great with hiking for a while, really enjoy it and look forward to getting back into it in a couple months. but last year had me travel for 100 days, buy a house, and have a baby (well my wife did anyway). really fell off of everything and reached close to the highest i've weighed maybe ever. i got sick recently, nothing major, but i get a little scared of what could happen to me and what that would mean for the people around me. i even worry about the first responders.

so i started by cooking a crap-ton of chicken breast and i ate nothing but that, a pork dish, and vegetables all week. drank nothing but water. i'm keeping this going, but i still have eaten out 2 or 3 times a week since doing this, but once i get some bulk meat it will be a little easier. we've found cooking ahead to be a huge help with the baby during the week.

for exercise i'm hitting the gym. if you live on the east coast i don't need to tell you it's no bueno for most outdoor activities. i've started a routine and i wanted some feedback on it:

Day 1

Lifting Day

Barbell Squats (3 Sets 10 Reps)

Flat Dumbbell Bench Press (3 Sets 10 Reps) (i have bad shoulders so barbell bench is out)

Barbell Curl (3 Sets 10 Reps)

Calf Dips (3 Sets 10 Reps) (stand on something you can hang your heels over and dip then raise up on your toes)

Triceps Cable Pull Down (3 Sets 10 Reps)

Day 3

Movement Lifting Day

Incline Dumbbell Bench Press (3 Sets 10 Reps) 

Lunges (w/weights) (3 Sets 10 Reps)

Standing Dumbbell Rows (3 Sets 10 Reps)

Straight Leg Dumbbell Deadlift (3 Sets 10 Reps) 

Day 5 

Heavy Lifting Day

???

So i'm looking for recommendations for heavy lifting day i want to take the reps down and really move some iron. What are your favorite exercises for really getting after it? Also, any recommendations on my other routines? I am doing some body weight/cardio stuff on days in between, nothing major just trying to stay stretched out.

look forward to getting making some progress and getting back on the right track.

have you looked into doing a wendler 5-3-1 program? a lot of us have gotten good results with that.

"Come with me if you want to lift" -The Brominator

"Later, I would learn that coincidences are the most planned things in the world. Later, I would learn that every single moment is a coincidence." - Douglas Coupland

"Anyone who doesn't want french fries every day is a commie." - AngelaTheGeek

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter