Forums are back in action! ×

5HTP and Nootropics

5-HTP is an antidepressant and when combined with other antidepressants, like SSRI's or MAOI's, it can to a nasty thing called serotonin syndrome. It's also a sedative and messes up your sleep a bit. (REM surpression beginning of the night, REM reboud accordingly later on.) I've heard stories of people using them and there seem to be little side effects with normal use. Apparently you have to watch out for vitamin B6 or something.

I had to look up nootropics, and why would you ever even want to use those? Focus is something you can learn and if you can't seem to focus, you ought to check whether you're well-rested, your sleeping habits are good, etc.

Thing is, what would you even want to use 5-HTP for? I understand it as a lucid dreaming supplement, since the REM rebound effect it has in the morning causes pretty vivid dreams, which are easier to remember. If you are depressed, you should consult a doctor or a psychiatrist and work it out with them. I see no reason just to start using them.

Same thing for nootropics. If you have trouble concentrating or whatever, go see a professional on the subject.

Quare? Quod vita mea non tua est.

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Sixteen or just plain 161803398874989.

On the 5HTP thing, I wasn't too sure what it was, and when I saw it in Holland & Barrett I figured it must be something interesting, not planning on using it (god knows I can use all the sleep I can get, not wanting to mess that up for sure).

As for the nootropics, I could do with all the brain boosting I can get, and if i'm honest, I cant really see anything wrong with trying them, even just to see what happens, yet I see what your saying about doing everything naturally, but again, why not try this?