Forums are back in action! ×

Using magic to achieve your goals!

Hey dudes! (and I mean "dudes" in the non-gendered way, encompassing all people across the gender spectrum)

You know what I love? Magic.  

I'm a huge fan of the game Mage the Ascension. It's an old school World of Darkness game that hinges on the idea of reality being subjective and characters gain power by having a seeking. A seeking is where the part of you that allows you to do magic (your avatar) takes you on some quest to prove that you're ready to wield greater power over the universe around you. Your avatar is part of you. You're born with it. Basically, you are proving to yourself that you are ready to go to the next level with your magic. You're that much closer to being capable of, literally, anything. 

I like the idea that your willpower and drive can help propel you forward. 

I like the idea that obtaining a self-mastery can help a person control circumstances that seem out of their control. 

I like magic

Basically, I've started looking at the life quests that we have as ways for our characters to learn magic. Basically, I wanted to post how I'm looking at my life quest line in alignment with my favorite role playing game. 

1: You can do magic because your paradigm says you can do magic

Since this is a game, your paradigm gives you the reasons why you are capable of achieving any goal you set forth. Your paradigm is the framework under which you work your mojo. Your achieved goals have to fit within your paradigm. If you achieve a goal that doesn't fit into the framework that you thought you could achieve a goal, then you need to rethink how your personal reality works. As we grow and do more, our paradigms change. 

2: Magic is made up of different things. 

There are nine spheres in MtA and each of them govern a different concept that you work with. The spheres are the tools you use to reach a goal. They're big, overarching concepts and how you control them. 

Correspondence: distance and spacial stuff

Entropy: Fate, chaos, and probability

Forces: The elements! 

Life: Living, breathing, growing things

Matter: Physical stuff

Mind: Exactly what it sounds like. 

Prime: This one's hard to translate into work out mechanics, but it's the guts of magic. The literal force there, so it could be considered your internal self mastery

Spirit: Otherworldly not-on-this-physical-plane stuff. How that is defined is up to you

You use these spheres to do magical effects. There is also more than one way to bake the proverbial potato. 

EXAMPLE MAGIC:  

I want to run and finish a 5K race.

What are the things I know how to do that will help me run a 5K? 

• Life/Prime: I'm going to use my physical training (Life) and my personal fortitude (Prime) to help me power through a race
  • Correspondence/Mind: I know that 5K is just like walking to the grocery store and back. (Correspondence) If I think of this like walking to the grocery store and back, it won't be as scary(Mind) and I can finish this race. 

I want to do a presentation for class

• Entropy/Mind: I've thought about all the possibilities (Entropy) , and I have mentally prepared myself for them. (Mind) Knowing the possibilities makes me feel less scared about this exchange. I practiced my presentation and I feel very calm. 
  • Matter: I decided that speaking in front of a crowd wasn't my strongest suit, so I made a video for my classmates to watch. (Matter) This works to my advantage, because I am really good at making digital stuff. Since that fits within the assignment parameters, I can feel much more confident. 

3: Learning Spheres

Some magical effects can only be done using certain spheres. So, obviously, you are going to need to learn them. Want to master entropy? Try doing something spontaneous. Mind? Try and get in touch with your emotions by journalling. Pick up a crafty hobby if you want to learn matter. Read some self-empowerment books to up your prime or spirit scores. If you want to start a camp fire, you can't do it without forces. So, basically, you never to learn to use the skills you have, but don't be afraid to fill in the gaps. 

EXAMPLE:

I want to grow an organic garden this year

How will I learn how to grow an organic garden?

• Life/Forces/Prime/Matter: I'm super committed to the idea of growing an organic garden (Prime), so I used my knowledge of plants (Life) and the weather patterns in my area (Forces) to choose when to plant my stuff. I also took my time to learn about new and safe alternatives to using pesticide on my plants. (Matter+Life)

Anyone have any thoughts on this? :D 

Thanks for reading!

-S t a r . R u b y -

HEROES NEVER DIE

heatherallyse

I have no idea how to play that game, but knowledge and experience are never wasted, so more power to you if you want to study and try new things to become a cooler person.

• Like 1

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

I've been trying to think of how to convert this thought process into D&D terms, but sadly I've never been really any good at playing spell casters. I love the idea, but the magic can get kind of restrictive. X does Y and then  Z happens kind of spells. 

Anyway, I know for my own sake, I will be working on this and figuring out how to stat myself out for lifestyle skills

-S t a r . R u b y -

HEROES NEVER DIE

heatherallyse