Forums are back in action! ×

Well, hello

first, english is not my native language so sorry for the errors. 19 years old history student.

As this is Nerd Fitness, everybody here is having the Nerd self and the Fitness self. For the Nerd part, I don't really play nor like videogames and neither am fan of Star Wars (pls no hate). I consider myself a fantasy nerd - LOTR, Conan the Barbarian (the books! Their author, R. E. Howard, is one of the very first fit nerds and is being ignored shamefully) - and a horror nerd - Clive Barker, creepypastas, less known horror movies. Also, MTG all the way. On the border between the Nerd and the Fitness is my LARP and historical swordsmanship history. While HS is still part of my life, I abandoned the Larp after being dedicated to it for a long time. For the fitness, I'm proud to be a monk. Well, I try to - practicing MMA but sucking terribly at it (but I like it and that is the point). Aside from that, I do a lot of bodyweight workout and now starting with weighted calisthenics + running short tracks every now and then.

I started following NF around year and a half ago. At those days, I considered it more an entertaining way of fitness nerdification. Those days, I had my own way that worked for me. But after finding out that the path has ended, finding a new one became a priority.

When I started the swordsmanship, it was the first time that fitness started to matter in my life. Ever since I finally made my first push up thanks to my swordsmanship masters (at the age of 16 - quite bad I think), excersising became part of my life I cannot separate. Why this sticks to me is thanks to one thing - focusing on the process. Pushups, pullups, crunches were simply a thing to do and when I lost a lot of weight for the first time, I noticed by an accident. I dropped from 89 kg to 77, then to 66 to regain the weight of 77 but with solid muscle built.

Nowadays I am overweight again (93 kg bear mode) - after graduating, on the holidays before the university studies started I worked as manual labourer - working 10-12 hours a day with the most frequent being crushing old walls with a hammer, carrying biricks, digging canalizations etc. While this work was a great way to extend my strenghth potential and made me antifragile, it ruined my diet and that is where I fail the most. So, I am overweight, but I still have strenghth and condition (finished Spartan Race and other races of this type) + basic muay thai/MMA skills (really just basics).

On behalf of my goals: the biggest and principal is to fight an MMA fight and win (are there any MMA fans here? Werdum all the way, my prefered style). Towards this goes journey of attending classes at least twice a week + working on my strenght/conditioning individually.

So, here I am. Aside from all this, I love the history (a reason to study it, after all), still practicing the historical swordsmanship and participating in the battles.

• Like 1
You don't like Star Wars?! THROW THE LIZARD OFF THE BALCONY!

I am just kidding, welcome aboard! 

I'm very excited to see another horror nerd. I love horror movies. If you have the opportunity, Let the Right Ones In is one of my favorites. I also adored the Hellraiser series, and I very much enjoy Clive Barker. Some of his work made it to graphic novels and they are really freaking awesome. 

I am also super jealous that you finished one of the Spartan races. I want to do one so badly! They seem like they are a lot of fun, and in 2016 I am hoping to be up-to-par with people who run them. Do you have any tips that you could offer? 

-S t a r . R u b y -

HEROES NEVER DIE

heatherallyse

heatherallyse: People make SR a big thing but in the end it was actually pretty easy. Just keep practicing burpees, run offroads... The adrenaline will make you do it. Let the Right Ones In is a good movie (the scandinavian version), but not really my taste (prefer Clive Barker-ish style of horror like mentioned Hellraiser, Lord of Illusions etc. - gory, but with real plot and masterful features). Also, from CB's works give shot to his very first novel, The Damnation Game.