Forums are back in action! ×

Reporting in from Thailand

Hi all!

A lil' intro, 'bout myself? I suck at these, but here goes: I'm a nerd from Massachusetts (born and raised in Ashland, studied in Worcester, wished I lived in Boston) and since I can remember I've been fat. Obese, actually according on an online BMI calculator. I've done some sports, mostly Judo and Kidde Karate (when I was younger), but never did much outside (and those McDojo type karate places aren't always the best at fitness). Long story short, after college I pack my things and move to Thailand where I get a job in the South teaching English to little kids.

As a result of coming here I was introduced to: healthy, semi-natural foods of a proper portioning, insane heat and Muay Thai which I have been doing for a few months now. And before I knew it I had lost 15 pounds (in about two months). Didn't try anything special (and I was eating ice cream almost daily) and wasn't even thinking about it, it just sort of happened. A month later and I was down 20+ pounds tot. I started cutting my ice creams.

I've been living here for about 8 months now, really gotten into fitness and exercise and found this cool site about a couple of weeks ago (some cool d00d on Fitocracy had it up) and have shed 47 pounds total. I've stepped up my muay thai intensity as I loose weight and get closer to my goals of: A six pack, A match here (I figure still at least a year off, but who knows?), a 10k (missed my chance a month ago and still regret it).

I love living here, and learning a new language and all the wonderful changed to my life it's had and I'm also glad I found NF which is pretty much the neatest thing I've found about fitness since... ever?

My nerd stats are such (btw): Otaku, been to AnimeBoston many a times and still watch my favorites daily. Gamer (now ex due to lack of system) and my favorite games are Mirror's Edge (want to start parkour so baaaaaaaaaaad), Portal, COD4, Halo 3. And most of all Star Wars (yeah the Trek's okay, too). I lived, slept, breathed nothing but Star Wars since I was a little kid. I've read over 100 (literally, I counted in HS) books and 50 comics, I've SEEN the Holiday Special (well, owned for a while), and cosplayed Jedi for every occasion (last day of school Sophomore year of HS? Picking up Ep3 in stores? SW gallery at Museum?... duuuuuuuuuuuh).

Finally, glad to finally join the forum!!!