Forums are back in action! ×

to which degree can body weight exercises replace pumping iron?

Ok, what do you want to train? Push, Pull, Squat, Core, and Conditioning? Considering you want to get "a little" big, you would aim between approximately the 6-12 Rep range. To accommodate the increasing demands of harder exercises, we can start at 15 Reps for earlier progressions and eventually work down from there. So, now we know where we can set our goals. I'm gonna assume you want a completely equipment free workout other than a bar, so this could be a sample of what you might be looking for.

Push

Push-Ups: 15->Diamond Push-Ups: 12->One Arm Push-Up Negatives*: 12 (Slow)->One Arm Push-Ups: 12->Handstand (Against Wall is ok) Push-Ups: 12-> Gymnastics

Pull

Inverted Rows: 15->Pull-Up Negatives**: 6 (Slow)->Pull-Ups: 12-> Pull-Ups (One Arm on towel): You can vary the difficulty on this one. 1-3 Reps a Set for Strength->One Arm Pull-Ups: As much as possible. It's not easy to get too good at these.

Squat

Squat: 25-> Half Close Squats: 20-> Close Squats: 15-> [Pistol Negatives: 6 Slow OR Supported Pistols: 15]-> Pistols: Infinity

Core

Bent Leg Raises: 15-> Leg Raises: 15-> Hanging Knee Tucks: 15->Hanging Bent Leg Raises: 15-> Hanging Leg Raises: Infinity

Conditioning

Anything, Burpees, Jumping Jacks, Sprinting, etc... Preferably Football specific

Infinity means you have a few options where I put the word. Keep adding Reps at a normal speed, or keep the Reps in the 6-12 range by doing the movement slowly. Also, you might need to work on making your ankles more flexible for Pistols.

*Go down with one arm, press up with both, repeat.

** 6 slow Pull-Up Negatives should be fine. Use a stool or something to get above the bar.

Hi everybody!

I was wondering about to which degree body weight exercises can replace weight training. I don't have access to a Gym right now and will not have at least until october next year, so body weight stuff has to do it for me.

Regardless of the mode of resistance, It all comes down to effort

I don't want to bulk up a lot, just get athletic, and a little big (like a wide receiver, that's what I am and that's what I aim).

How your body responds to the stimulus is constrained by your genetics, not by the stimulus itself.