Forums are back in action! ×

Hi there,

My name is Alan and I am 34 years old. I was diagnosed with Thyroid cancer when i was 21 which caused my weight to rise dramatically. Over the years since my treatment ended I have been stuck around 4/5 stone over my ideal weight which at my height of 5'9 should be around 12 stone (ish). In the last 6 months i started a manual labour job stacking produce shelves at a local supermarket chain. In that time i have dropped my weight down to 14 stone.

This is all well and good but my problems are my start time is 4am and i usually finish around midday. By the time i get home i am already half asleep and can't find the energy to do much unless i really need to. My eating and sleeping patterns also vary depending on my mood. Someday's i'll eat barely at all and nap and other days i will just eat loads and usually the wrong things.

I am trying to make small changes to begin with as the emails advise but i really would appreciate any advice to dealing with this lack of energy as it is affecting my social life as i cannot be bothered to go out and see my friends and family as much.

Thankyou for taking the time to read this and i look forward to hopefully getting some forward momentum going.

Regards,

Alan

Hey, Alan. Nice avatar. ;)

Night-shift jobs are tough. Most people just aren't wired to wake up in the middle of the night and go to bed in the middle of the day. Since you're tired by the end of your shift, can you wake up at, say, 8 pm and get your stuff for the day done before work? Or maybe polyphasic sleep: sleep 3 hours after work, do social things in the evening, and sleep again for the first half of the night before work?

Whatever you end up having to do for sleep, you can at least make eating the right things easier for yourself by doing batch cooking and being picky about what foods you have in your home. It's easier to have the willpower to not eat bad stuff when you're tired if there isn't any bad stuff around you to be eaten!

• Like 1

I would also suggest tweaking your sleep schedule if you're tired after work. You should hopefully manage a few extra hours of alertness if you put them in the right spot. I have noticed that working out is very tiring for me when I start it, but after a week or two it ends up getting me energized instead.

Base Character: Elantrian

Class/ Profession: Druid

Level: 0 | STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 0 | CHA 0

Battle Log Whole30