Forums are back in action! ×

Hi everyone!

I'm not quite at the point yet where I could claim any major victory in my body recomposition and fitness projects, but that'll come. Buuuutttt... I HAVE TO share this with everyone I know (and everyone I don't). I'm currently doing my computer science degree. Maths is involved. This is the third time I've been to university, and the first time I've been for the right reasons, and it'll be the first time I graduate. To put this in context, when I went to university the first time round, I picked a MSci in Physics & Mathematical Finance at age 16 because I wanted to escape the village I lived in ASAP, and that degree was the hardest looking one, which meant I could prove something to everyone who thought I wasn't worth ****. Got glandular fever on my second day after leaving home, wrestled with the course for 3 years, and ended up having to leave. I was scraping 10% in exams and getting by on cramming for resits to get the bare minimum and by the time 3 years of this was up I really believed I wasn't ever going to be worth anything, I wasn't as smart as I thought, and I was destined for a life of unwanted minimum wage jobs. 

Via some kind of magical warp device I ended up chilling out in a bar job 10 years later, had fallen in love with gaming, and decided maybe a little programming course might be a nice idea. I quietly started up a CS degree at the Open University, so I could take my time and add extra modules if I felt like it later, or just walk away with a one semester course if I wanted to. I've been studying now for just over a year, start my software development courses in September, and have just got to grips with the first year maths that made me feel like such a failure the first time I tried it. I was wrong! I CAN do it!  I just got my first ever university result that made me cry with happiness. I REALLY AM SPECTACULARLY BADASS AT THE MATHS.

Here, I have to tell everyone! Scores out of 100! The most recent one was the hardest paper of the year :D

gallery_34161_1540_6140.jpg

I'd always wanted to do something absolutely fascinating with my life, and I'm seriously considering changing to CS with applied maths. It would only take me 3 months longer. I'm going to hit up my tutor for a chat ASAP. I got this result 2 days ago and I'm still excited about it, so naturally, it was time for me to make my first post in the woot room! I hope I can come back and update this thread in 3 months to say I got a distinction, because that's the result I'm headed for. I need 85%. 

To maths:

gallery_34161_1540_33853.gif

Gotta go, I have a robotics assessment to hand in on Wednesday!

• Like 1

Half-Orc / Level 4 / Assassin

STR - 3 DEX - 1 STA - 4 CON - 13.5 WIS - 3 CHA - 6

Twitter: @hybrid756

CURRENT CHALLENGE

Challenge wrap up! April 12 - May 24 2015!
Challenge 1

Bf% - from 50% to 20%

21%
21%

Nice! 

I'm in a programming-focused graduate course of study and I'm working my ass off on the remedial programming courses they have me in.  It's been a challenge (damn you, memory allocation and C pointers!), but I'm getting through it.  There's nothing quite like succeeding in something that's hard.

• Like 1

Searching the world for a cure for my wanderlust.

This is really inspiring. I also have to take that subject and I know how difficult it can be. Well done!!!

Math_kills_by_hellsing_kitten.jpg

Stealing this .gif. Good luck to you with the rest of your course!

Nice! 

I'm in a programming-focused graduate course of study and I'm working my ass off on the remedial programming courses they have me in.  It's been a challenge (damn you, memory allocation and C pointers!), but I'm getting through it.  There's nothing quite like succeeding in something that's hard.

Oh wow, I have all that to look forward to ;) Maths was my nemesis, I feel like I've really knocked some serious HP off it now. It's a great feeling!

And this is probably appropriate...

gallery_34161_1540_17708.jpg

Half-Orc / Level 4 / Assassin

STR - 3 DEX - 1 STA - 4 CON - 13.5 WIS - 3 CHA - 6

Twitter: @hybrid756

CURRENT CHALLENGE

Challenge wrap up! April 12 - May 24 2015!
Challenge 1

Bf% - from 50% to 20%

21%
21%

Wow, kudos to you for not just getting trough a tough course but also doing it on your 3rd attempt at higher education. The fact that you went for it is already a huge achievemnt in my books. I have 2 failed educations myself. Not even sure I'll go for the third one. But if I do, CS will definitely be one of my primary choices.

• Like 1