Forums are back in action! ×

Here comes the new guy

I've been trying to lose weight for years. YEARS. I've been wanting to join the airforce since I was 19 (I'm 28 now), but I've always been too fat. I graduated with my bachelor's degree when I was 26 (late bloomer). About a year later, I walked into a recruiter's office, and I was told by the time I'd be shipping out-- I'd be too old. I was pretty disappointed, to say the least. Well, the airforce has recently changed their policy. They now accept new recruits from ages 17-39. I feel like this is my second chance. I have a good job, a wife and a baby on the way-- but I HAVE to follow my dream, or I'll regret it later.

I need to lose about 60 pounds... I'm ringing in at 235-- if I get down to 175-165, I should be good.

I have a membership at a great gym with a ton of classes at no extra cost. I usually smoke meat on the weekends, which can be done healthy or really terrible for you. My wife is an insanely picku eater, which has been an issue in the past. But, I know this is something I have to do.

Has anyone have similiat issues regarding picky eaters in the home?

• Like 1

I used to be insanely picky. Start with things she thinks are ok and figure out ways to spice things (garlic and paprika are my faves for most things atm, strong taste help give some of my bleh veggies a kick to them.) See if it's texture or taste associated too. I hated the texture of bananas but started eating ones that were less ripe and now I'm completely fine with them.

Little steps! What kind if diet shifts are you looking at to drop some lbs? 

Spaz Ranger

BATTLE LOG

You can have results or excuses. Not both

I used to be insanely picky. Start with things she thinks are ok and figure out ways to spice things (garlic and paprika are my faves for most things atm, strong taste help give some of my bleh veggies a kick to them.) See if it's texture or taste associated too. I hated the texture of bananas but started eating ones that were less ripe and now I'm completely fine with them.

Little steps! What kind if diet shifts are you looking at to drop some lbs?

So far, I've been focusing on less carbs and more protein. Instead of a whole sandwich for lunch, I took a half sandwich. Been eating more fruit instead of junk food. Really been cutting back on the fast food, too.

I could just about eat anything, but my wife is just opposed to most vegetables. I got her to try parsnips once-- but, that was probably two years ago. She likes carrots and potatoes, so I've been trying to introduce some more startchy type vegetables-- maybe transition into some greens. It's a texture and taste thing for her. She HATES spice-- if she can even smell the spices, she's done. So, my strategy has basically been making two separate meals for us. But, that isn't particularly cost effective and creates a massive mess. It's tough, because she can eat junk food and stay thin with little effort-- and I'm a bit of a junk food addict, and I don't stay thin very easily.