Forums are back in action! ×

Just joined up (New York State)

Hi! I've got a long journey in front of me, so I thought it might be a good idea to seek some companions headed in the same direction. I need to lose fat, but my primary focus is becoming more fit and more strong. (Also, I'm going to DragonCon for the first time this year, and want to rock my cosplay!)

In an effort to be more transparent about this process, I created a blog (http://fitstronggeek.wordpress.com) and Twitter (http://twitter.com/fitstronggeek -- come by and say hi?

I'm already using my FitBit to log my steps daily, and their app to track my calories; I plan to also challenge myself to new exercises each month, and participate in some of the 6 week challenges here.

Thanks for having me.

I've done my measurements here: http://wp.me/p5YlTK-g

It's a bit disappointing to see it all laid out like that. I used the BMI calculator app to figure my BMI, waist ratio, basal metabolic rate, and so on. I didn't realize my fat % was so high...

But at least I have my starting stats, and my goal for this month. Now that I know exactly where I am, I can get started.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet

I'm counting calories, keeping to a healthy limit, and making sure the food I eat is all real, nutritious, food.

I'm walking each day (tracked with my Fitbit) and doing a different "challenge" each month. This month it's arms :)

I'm in this for the long haul, so I'm starting off a little slower than I think I could be, and I'll step up incrementally. (Plus I just had surgery last week, and while I'm cleared to start this, I'm advised to take it easy this month.) I'm focusing on building daily habits now, and then will push myself to do more/harder exercise, once I'm being consistent about the levels I started with. I know from experience that I can buckle down for a day, week, or even month... But I have traditionally lacked follow thru.

My very first DragonCon ! I plan to do Nausicaa -- but rather than the fluffy, pastel, felt version I've seen done before, I want to do the more realistic, battle weary version. Canvas and leather and working, useful, pockets :D

• Like 1

Awesome on the cosplay, I'm excited to see pictures :D 

Also, I just went through and read your blog (cuuuuuuute layout btw) and think you're going to do awesome with this. Just remember one step at a time and little changes you're doing will really show- even if you yourself don't see it for months, others will start noticing.  A lot of people on here do progress pics too, you don't have to share them but just having them helps show the difference week to week or month to month. 

• Like 1

Spaz Ranger

BATTLE LOG

You can have results or excuses. Not both

Still not cleared to start working out — and until I kick the surgery-related infection, I won’t be. Most likely more than another week (I have nine days left on my medication), so really, I’m looking at starting the physical part of my journey at the beginning of May.

While it’s frustrating, I didn’t just want to toss this month out and wait.  So I did research, I started making the big changes to my diet that I’d planned (while not yet worrying about calories), and I made some changes to my kitchen too.

Before, I had all of my pantry foods in cabinets, like most people. This led to me looking in the empty fridge, thinking to myself that I had “no foodâ€, and ordering a pizza or eating out. I built a cheap bookshelf, added a few stick-on hooks for oven mitts and towels, and moved all of the dry goods and spices out where I can always see them. This has led to me cooking more, ordering in a lot less, and spending less on groceries, since I’m using more of the ingredients I already have at home.

Read more here https://fitstronggeek.wordpress.com/2015/04/18/update-still-recovering-but-making-changes/

• Like 1