Forums are back in action! ×

New Family, New Job, New Location, New Fitness

Hello all! 

So I've found out about this forum through a family member, who was recommended by a friend of his. To my knowledge all of us are planning on diving in here and becoming participants in the challenges! Figured I'd start with an introduction over here first! 

I'm 26 years old and until this year had never given fitness much serious thought. I'm somewhat tall at 6'2" and have a relatively large frame (mostly broad shoulders). I grew up being told I look thin and healthy and I was always more than happy to let that be the case. It meant more time for video games, which took up way too much of my high school and early college years. In reality I had no strength, endurance, stamina, and only the smallest concepts of what it meant to be healthy. I hid the fat I had under baggy and dark clothing. My diet was mountain dew and chips, weekly pizza binges and fast foods. I never became alarmingly overweight and would even dabble in fitness related activities from time to time, so I was happy to continue being this way.

Over the years some healthy changes came naturally. I gave up soda several years back. I don't drink alcohol with any frequency. Fast food had been cut back drastically. Just this year I stopped biting my nails, which was a nervous habit that has plagued me since childhood (3 months clean!). My nerdiness over the years has also changed. I still love video games, but enjoy a good tabletop game as well from the complex D&D and pathfinder (no time to play those anymore) to the more casual games like Pandemic or Betrayal at House on the Hill (a favorite of mine). Music is a passion of mine as well. I play guitar, piano, and mandolin. I sing chorally and have been on stage for musical theater. I've become more social, I have good friends and a lady that I love with all my heart. My lifestyle, however, had largely remained the same. I would rather do any one of those things or waste time relaxing with my girlfriend if it meant not having to work, even if it meant ignoring the really important tasks. In many ways I am still like that.

The last few years have been different in great ways. I graduated college last May, slightly behind my friends but well beyond my hopes and wishes. I was lucky enough to find a job and make good money. In April of last year I proposed to my girlfriend, and must have somehow hoodwinked her into saying yes. This year brings even more change. Today marked the end of week one at a new job. I moved last week and am now living in Chicago. I work as an actuary for a consultant firm, which is the career path I was hoping for as I left school. In 3 months I'll be getting married and starting my own family. My fiancee has spent the last few years achieving tremendous success in her own fitness goals. All of this led to me taking a good look at my own health. My relationship and professional life goals are becoming a reality, but I need fitness goals as well.

I've been lucky to have good help getting started. The family member that recommended this site has gotten me started with lifting heavy things. I've been running as well. After just a few months I'm already seeing good progress, things that are exciting and encouraging me to move forward. Logging my activities and using these forums will be a new step, and one that I hope to stick with for some time. 

I'll be writing up a challenge for the upcoming event, and hope to get to know a few of you going forward!

Skibbles - Recruit

Level 0

STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 0 | CHA 0

Current Challenge