Forums are back in action! ×

New girl joining the powerlifting club

Hi everyone! My name is Ashley and I'll be 23 this July! I'm new to this forum and super new to powerlifting. I'm looking for a community of people to help keep me motivated and working hard (I'll do the same for ya'll). I've only been powerlifting for a week and I have to admit I know none of the technical lingo or such things. I do however know that lifting heavy stuff is a lot of fun! It makes me feel great! So, let me tell you a bit about me. I'm married to a a wonderful man whose had a passion for powerlifting forever!, he doesn't compete, just a hobby for him. He'd been trying to talk me into trying it for the past 3 years and I finally caved. Thank God I did. I exercised before bUT with lighter weights and more reps and never really stuck with it. Until now. I've always been relatively fit and active. Horses have been a big part of my life and always kept me in decent shape.

I know it seems crazy to say this after only one week but I already want to compete eventually in PL, I've never felt so much pride in myself and so much determination. Anyways, Jeff (hubby) helped me find my max in each (squat, deadlift and bench) this past week and I'd like to share with you my results.

I weigh 94lbs at 4'11

Squat = 100 lbs

Deadlift = 175 lbs

Bench = 75 lbs

From what my husband and others at the gym have told me is that a I have great form (unless I rest too long in between sets) I'll be trying to post photos/videos soon.

I knew my bench would be the toughest and weakest, I fail at uper body strength. But I plan to work hard to get it up there.

Eventually my goal is to compete.

Personal ego boost goals are:

Find a way to gain muscle in my calves and shoulders (my two problem areas)

Do more than 1 pull up haha.

So, I hope to meet some other great people, get some awesome advice and guidance and follow you on your journey to success as well.

• Like 1

Yay! More tiny powerlifters!

If you're looking for inspiration from a mini beast on here, check out Tankweazel.

Clearly Spezzy is the big name in women's powerlifting around here, so worth checking her out too.

I'm newer than either of the others but just starting my third year of powerlifting training and second year of competition.

You're pulling some impressive numbers already but keep going and they're going to rocket!

• Like 3

Thanks for the information, I'll definitely look into them. I'm trying to find a way to post photos of me now so I can track progress but I'm having issues. I'll figure it out soon.

What got you guys into powerlifting?

Any advice for a newbie that you wished you had know in the beginning?

1. I just upload to Imgur set to private and then post them here via a link.

2. I wanted to lose weight and found girls on MFP who lifted and then found NF when searching for "women lifting barbells" or something.

3. Always value form over weight. You can lift more weight in the long term if you're not injured from letting your form get naughty.