Forums are back in action! ×

HIIT Advice

Good morning!

I'm doing HIIT twice a week and wanted to make sure I was getting the most out of it. My current regimen is:

Treadmill:

Warm-up

1 min surge 9.0mph HR 170-180 (checked right after surge)

1 min recovery 4.5mph (walking) HR 155ish (checked right before surge)

Is there an ideal HR range that I should be getting to on the recovery to get the most benefit? 155 isn't that low and I'm wondering if I should be slowing things way down on the recovery to get more in the 130-140 range.

FWIW I don't measure heart rate, but I do go slower in recovery. I do:

5 min warm-up at 5.5mph

1 min surge at 8.0

2 min rest at 4.0 (slow jog)

1 min surge at 9.0

rest

4x1 min surge at 10.0 with same 2 min rest

cool down

The first couple surges the slow 2 minutes feels long and I get antsy but by the end I'm praising anything that will stand still long enough that I have that long to recover.

As I progress I'm adding incline instead of speed (over 10.0 gets too scary for me on the treadmill). First just to surges, then to surges and rest. So as workouts progress I started with no incline, then I'll do 1.0 incline during surges and 0.0 during rest, then 1.0 all the time, then 2.0/1.0, and so on. Still only on 1.0 all the time though because HIIT isn't in my goals and thus has been consciously neglected.

I know I didn't really answer your question but the only way I knew to respond is with what I do.

The Tin Man: Cyborg Ranger

Tin Man's Out of Date Epic Quest

I am what I do.

I prefer to do a 1-on 2-off ratio to bring my HR down lower, but then slowly increase each "on" period.

For example, my treadmill speeds last week were:

warmup

1 min @ 9.5

2 min @ 3.5

1 min @ 9.5

2 min @ 3.5

1 min @ 10

2 min @ 3.5

1 min @ 10

2 min @ 3.5

1 min @ 10.5

You gotta experiment to find out what works for you.
PM me with any questions about, well, anything! :)
Current challenge: Catspaw Starts Strong

You can always just mix it up.

- Do 20 burpees or 8-count bodybuilders for time. Then rest for a minute. Then repeat a few times until you're about to die. Then stop.

- Tabata sprints, on treadmill or bike. Bonus: only takes four minutes, start to finish. Downside: you may literally die.