Forums are back in action! ×

First Rebel Workout...??? (Dumbell)

Hello everyone!

First everyone has been super nice..I love this community :)

I am following the Dumbell workout from the Strength guide.

My goal is weight loss and super toning...Muscle is Pretty:)

A few questions..

Is Rank 1 done with just 1 circuit or 3 like Rank 2?

Is it ok to substitute bent over rows for Pullups?

Overall I think the workout went well:

Warmed up on the bike for 7 minutes. Did the other warmup activities (squats/leg swings)

- Push Press (12.5/15/15/15/15)

- Bent OVer Row (15/17.5/17.5/17.5/17.5)

-Pushups (w/feet out) - 10/6/5

-SidePlank - 30s each side + Full Plank for 30

Round 2 - (because I didnt know if Round 1 was enough)

- Push Press - (15/15/15)

-Bent Over Row (17.5/17.5/17.5/20/20)

-Deadlifts - 15lbs for 10 reps/17.5 for 10reps

Cool down - Real stretching

And I was done and out in 40 minutes:confused: - is this correct? I burned 365 calories ( I try to shoot for at least 500 but at involves more cardio)

I'm used to being in the gym a bit longer.

Just want to make sure I'm on the right track.

If you want to do a little more and are missing cardio, you could do some interval training. I've been doing other things lately, but used to do 14 minutes on the bike -- 2 minutes slow, 1 minute fast, repeat until the time is up, ending with 2 minutes slow to cool down. You should push yourself as much as you can on the fast sections, and try to go a little faster every time you do it. Fourteen minutes gives you 4 minutes of high intensity, the rest low. You can add more time if you want, but if you're going all out as much as you can maintain for a full minute, I think 14 minutes is a good place to start.

You can also try tabatas on the bike, which is 20 seconds full out, 10 seconds rest. Repeat until you've done this for four minutes. This doesn't sound like a lot, but believe me, it's plenty hard. (You can also do tabatas with weights, but the basic idea is the same -- do something fast for 20 seconds and then rest for 10 for four minutes.)

I've read in a couple of places that endurance-based cardio isn't the best thing to mix with lifting if you want to build muscle, because it favors the development of smaller muscles. I've seen people on other boards complain that they are losing muscle because of marathon training, even though they are lifting and getting enough calories and protein. Interval training should be OK though because it's based on sprinting, not endurance.