Forums are back in action! ×

Introductions and whatnot

Hi friends :D

I believe a short introduction (or prologue, if you will) is in order: 

I have always considered myself a little "roly-poly." Growing up, I was always self-conscious about my weight. I remember in probably about 2nd or 3rd grade making workout routines that I did in my room at home to try to get in shape. I got so frustrated all through elementary school because I didn't look like the other girls--in addition to not being as itty bitty as they were, I also began maturing much earlier. The discomfort I felt as a result led to emotional eating, a habit which did not ameliorate the situation at all. 

After becoming more active in junior high school, I lost a lot of weight and began to feel more comfortable in my skin. Once again, I was never fat before, but I felt a new sense of confidence, or at the very least, a newfound security with myself.

Fortunately, that confidence lasted for years. However, after a surgery last year (nothing life-threatening), I was unable to exercise for quite some time--the surgery was such that I was not fully healed and able to exercise comfortably for several months. This ordeal was disheartening for two reasons: one, I couldn't participate in soccer or dance for the duration of the school year (I have always played soccer, but I wanted to try my hand at dance for the first time), and two, I was gaining weight and felt powerless to stop it. At the end of that year, I had reached my HW of 145lbs (to give you a frame of reference, I am approximately 5'3"). I decided it was time for a change. 

Enter Nerd Fitness. In August, I found this quaint little website and was hooked. Someone found a way to combine fitness with AWESOME?!?! (...I got really excited about the Lord of the Rings references.) I pored over pages of information about the Paleo diet, exercise, and leveling up your life. I immediately told my family of my desire to try out this lifestyle, and they were a little confused... but supportive. I switched to an almost entirely paleo diet and joined dance class. Due to a lack of time, I did "fall off" the paleo wagon at some point, but I was WAY more conscious of what I was putting in my body than I had been. And I was always more aware of how long it had been since I'd last eaten vegetables   :nevreness: . By February, I was weighing in at 127 lbs and had never felt better! 

Since February, I have gained some weight back, and I currently weigh around 131 (and the weight I've gained has all been since soccer season started, so I think it may be extra muscle  :rolleyes-new: As the year is winding down, I finally have a little extra time in my schedule to give eating paleo the attention it needs, so I got back on Nerd Fitness today... and saw there was a six-week challenge coming up. I had never signed up to be a member, so I figured I'd do that, and now here I am! :D

Some long-term fitness goals of mine: 

Get down to 120lbs. 

Increase my flexibility and be able to do splits. 

Be able to do a pull-up. 

I'm looking forward to starting a new chapter in my story! :)

-end prologue-