Forums are back in action! ×

Hi,

A bit about me: I’ve known about Nerd Fitness for a few years now, about 2012, and I’ve been a long time subscriber to the email list. When I first found out about NF I was in, looking back, quite a bad way- I wanted to get a lot fitter but perhaps my expectations of ease and goals were a bit improbable. I was also having some illness issues; I was depressed for a long time and didn’t realise this.I also had, what may have been, some kind of stomach illness like Candida but despite a lot of trips to the doctor they couldn’t figure out. I also had Gastro-osophecal reflex disease. I was always on the scrawny side and unable to do much in the way of exercise, though as a kid I used to run cross-country. In 2007 I had a heart problem, myocarditis, which put an end to my only sporting activity, fencing, and it became very easy to excuse myself based on that. I wanted to try to get in shape and the story of Staci really inspired me,  so I got in touch with Nerd Fitness and then to my surprise Staci responded with advice about eating better and getting into Paleo.

But a little while passed before I kicked my ass into shape. My mind was still a mess, but, a year or so after, I had a bad time in 2013 which was a cold wake up call to sort myself out. So I cleaned myself up, got therapy, a few anti-depressants and, above all, Jujitsu. It all really helped me so much, and when I was working on new exercise routines and such like, NF was my first port of call for ideas and generally how to approach the subject of getting fit. Mentally and physically. It’s been a godsend.

The present:

Now if anything I’m slightly over-weight but a lot happier, and my diet has kind of improved too (still maybe a bit too much cheese and wine, but now my metabolism fell off so I can see it more clearly), I was a really fussy eater. Reading Nerd Fitness helped me a lot but I’m intending to do more and more. I’m currently mentally a lot better, more willing to work out and do exercise very regularly (jujitsu, Karate and with a swing dance society, five days a week) But still feel there’s a hell of a lot more to do; divining what that ‘more’ is, though is another matter. So I’m trying out the idea of seeing life as an RPG and discerning my skills as to where I can improve and set goals. I thought it’d make sense to join the board for more inspiration, advice and so on : )

I’m especially looking for some dietry advice because I’ve heard a lot of conflicting information, even though I’d consider myself a bit better informed nowadays than I was, certainly.

Well, thanks for reading and it’s good to be here. : )

• Like 1

Powys

Level 1 Human. Scout at heart, training with the Rangers
STR 2|DEX 2|STA 2|CON 1|WIS 4|CHA 4

Hey, I'm new here too. Welcome! Glad you found Nerd Fitness and that it helped you get through your problems. I'm planning on joining the Rangers after my first challenge so maybe we'll be guild-mates one day! Good luck in your questing.

Level 0 Amazon Recruit: STR-0  DEX-0  STA-0  CON-0  WIS-0  CHA-0  "You don't need a reason to help people".