Forums are back in action! ×

Hi everyone, my name is Andy and I'm fat and out of shape, and damn it I'm going to do something about it. I've been dabling in exercise and trying to get into shape for a few years now, and I've never been happy with the results I've gotten or not gotten. More importantly about 5 years ago I was diagnosed with high blood pressure at the ripe old age of 24. Part of this was some really bad genes, but the fact that I was 25-30 pounds over weight hasn't helped. I managed to get some weight off this summer, enough to get off the meds, but I want more. I want to WOW the shit out of my doctor when I go back next year. I was inspired by some of the stuff I've read here so I've decided I'm done making excuses, I know it's going to be difficult, but it's not any more difficult than some of the other things I've accomplished in my life.

I'm a firefighter/paramedic in the suburbs outside of Chicago. I've been to many fires where I've been out worked by guys who are 15-20 years older than I am. There is nothing worse than being the guy holding everyone up from going back to work because my blood pressure is too high or my pulse won't go down.

A few months ago I discovered Crossfit and I've become a big believer in it, but I needed something more. Nerdfitness is my more.

So look out world, I'm leveling up my shit, and discovering my super powers!

GOALS (to start):

1. eat consistently well on my days off from work.

2. do weight training 3 days per week for the next 6 weeks.

3. do some type of cardio workout 4 days a week for the next 6 weeks.

4. In the next 6 months I'm going to drop 10% body fat (currently at 26%) and be able to do 5 continuous strict pull-ups.

[TABLE=width: 500, align: left]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Bad Andy, level 1 Orc ranger

STR 2|DEX 2|STA 3|CON 2|WIS 4|CHA 2

[/TABLE]

Welcome to the forums. Have you tried the whole apple cider vinegar treatment for your blood pressure? Obviously, working out and eating healthy is much more important, but high blood pressure runs in my family and my mother swears by apple cider vinegar. Her blood pressure went all the way down to the point of 113/68. For doing no exercise and bringing it down from pre-hypertension - I'm probably going to give it a try myself.

I dig your enthusiasm, goals and motivation!

Do you have any more specific goals with regards to eating? What you eat plays a *huge* role in any body transformation, I might try setting some specific goals you can really measure: Drinking x amount of water, not eating past x time, eating a certain breakfast, whatevs :)

You've started almost precisely where I was, and I can tell your for sure that in 6 weeks you're going to feel amazing if you stick to this!

Here's to your success!