Forums are back in action! ×

Future Assassin in Training

Hello! I'm Rae, but I also go by Inky, and I am a definite Assassin class with just a touch of Druid. Which seeing that honestly explains why I always play rogues in every game...

So a few days ago I was visiting my friend and she showed me the NF choose your profession article and said I would really like this blog. I started poking around other articles from there and I haven't really stopped. I think having a community like this could be really helpful to me, and provide some accountability. My friends and family are supportive, but I don't get to see my friends that often, and they have very different health and fitness goals to me so I haven't had anyone going through the same issues. Plus it's nice to interact with fellow nerds again, which I haven't gotten as much since I left my very nerdy college.

My weight has always somewhat bothered me, but I've always been active enough it wasn't really an issue so I never addressed it much. I danced a ton (used to be ballet/jazz for 7.5hr/week, now ballroom and swing 20hr/week when training), walk, bike, hike, etc without getting horribly winded. I had to move back home recently and I lost access to a lot of these activities, suddenly had more trouble with stairs and decided that was unacceptable, so I started going to the gym.

I'm currently 23, 5'9", 212lbs, which is both probably close to my heaviest but also my average. I'm trying not to overwhelm myself to the point I can't continue to make progress, but it's hard with all the different types of things I want to do. Currently I'm doing cardio daily (30 minutes on the elliptical or a bike ride around my neighborhood), and supplementing with yoga/pushups/situps every other day with the intention of adding back in Isshinryu in a few weeks. After reading some of the Nerd Fitness articles I'm considering lifting as an option? Luckily I never believed the myth that girls would get super bulky, but I didn't know all the benefits. But I'm not sure if I should start with bodyweight stuff instead, and I don't want to give up my cardio entirely because it is something that is enjoyable for me. I also miss dance a lot, want to start bouldering (I found a local place), and would love to start doing parkour instead of just watching videos of it. I've been using My Fitness Pal on and off to track calories, which seems to work for me at first until I don't use it for a weekend (like when I'm visiting people in NYC and we eat a ton that's hard to calculate calories for...) then forget to start again. I might try not using it initially, and using another form of tracking, to taper off bad habits instead of trying to hit a harsh calorie goal from the start.

I went bouldering for the second time this weekend, first being a year ago, and this time had instruction and did much better. I couldn't lift my arms past 90 degrees the next day, but whatever, it felt amazing anyway. It surprised me how much I enjoyed it, and I think this may be a good activity to keep me motivated. It's more interesting to me to be able to say I reached the top of the next rated wall for the first time than counting my minor progress with wall pushups, because my upper body strength is nil.

As for nerdy stuff I cover most areas, but currently mostly involved in gaming (both board and video) and all things Marvel. I also come from a whole family of Brown Coats, and want to fix a few problems with my Kaylee cosplay with hopes I can show it off at ConnectiCon and NY Comic Con this year.

My fitness goals are to get into bouldering, parkour, and areials, as well as generally lowering my weight and upping strength and flexibility. Trying to get back to where I was at the end of high school and then even more so (180lbs, fairly strong/flexible). More specific goals include getting my Isshinryu black belt, backpacking the Appalachian trail (did a 3 day trip last summer, hoping for a 7-10 day this year), and getting my straddle/scorpion to the point I could have fun cosplaying as River Tam. I also need to find someplace to dance in my area so I stop practicing tango on the train platform.

Level: 2 | Race: Undecided | Class: Assassin

STR: 3 | DEX: 4 | STA: 1 | CON: 1 | WIS: 1 | CHA: 4

Current Challenge: 2

Challenges: 1 | 2

Weight Loss: 16/70 lbs

23%
23%