Forums are back in action! ×

girl + strength training + shy = ?

Hey guys! I've been hanging around NF for a while, but this is my first time on the forums. I've really loved a lot of the information I've learned from here, and figured that since I'm starting a New Phase (cue dramatic music) of my training, I really ought to connect with people here more and swap tips, because y'all are awesome.

A bit about me: I'm a grad student studying math (if the title didn't tip you off already) at a large state school who spends the bulk of her time pouring over obscure integrals. I'm trying to balance being a PhD student with not destroying my health. Last summer, I found NF and started reading through a lot of the articles, especially those about bodyweight workouts and going paleo. I'm 26, 5'5" and started out at 170lbs last May-- now I'm around 140 and looking to build strength.

BBW is my jam because I feel awesome after and I can do it in my apartment no problem. I try to eat 80-20 paleo (some weeks I do better than others--especially now that we're approaching finals, lol!). Since checking out NF, I've learned how to make a ton more meals (chicken, broccoli, baked sweet potato, starting more on beef dishes now, vs. the pasta and meat sauce I would eat legit every day before), but one of my big goals has always been to do a pull-up. I know, I know, the bar is set kind of low.

The thing is, I'm a little shy about using an actual gym. One, as the title attests, I am a girl and I feel kind of nervous about (but also really want to?) using barbells, and two, I'm worried about working out around people. Part of why working out's gone so well for me thus far is that I can do things in the privacy of my own apartment. What's motivating me to get out is that I don't have a pull-up bar and my home desk is literally not strong enough for me to do bodyweight rows on (it is a graffitied, retired pong table from my undergrad days and I would be actually sad if I snapped it with my tiny muscles).

I'm contemplating signing up for a summer class at a local gym (maybe crossfit?) to get used to heavier weights/familiarize myself with how to do it without hurting myself, but I also know that I'm very likely to not do that if I don't hold myself accountable. I'm hoping to find a few people I can check in with/hold me to my non-table-breaking pull-up goals and be friends with along the way (and if you ever need help with calculus, I've got you covered).

I love fantasy novels and video games (A Darker Shade of Magic and Persona 3/4/omg cannot wait for 5), and I'm excited to meet and cheer you guys on and maybe even find that elusive tasty kale smoothie recipe I have always dreamed of. 

• Like 1
Hey guys! I've been hanging around NF for a while, but this is my first time on the forums. I've really loved a lot of the information I've learned from here, and figured that since I'm starting a New Phase (cue dramatic music) of my training, I really ought to connect with people here more and swap tips, because y'all are awesome.

Welcome to the party...

A bit about me: I'm a grad student studying math (if the title didn't tip you off already) at a large state school who spends the bulk of her time pouring over obscure integrals. I'm trying to balance being a PhD student with not destroying my health. Last summer, I found NF and started reading through a lot of the articles, especially those about bodyweight workouts and going paleo. I'm 26, 5'5" and started out at 170lbs last May-- now I'm around 140 and looking to build strength.

BBW is my jam because I feel awesome after and I can do it in my apartment no problem. I try to eat 80-20 paleo (some weeks I do better than others--especially now that we're approaching finals, lol!). Since checking out NF, I've learned how to make a ton more meals (chicken, broccoli, baked sweet potato, starting more on beef dishes now, vs. the pasta and meat sauce I would eat legit every day before), but one of my big goals has always been to do a pull-up. I know, I know, the bar is set kind of low.

But you set a goal... that's more than most people. :-)

The thing is, I'm a little shy about using an actual gym. One, as the title attests, I am a girl and I feel kind of nervous about (but also really want to?) using barbells, and two, I'm worried about working out around people. Part of why working out's gone so well for me thus far is that I can do things in the privacy of my own apartment. What's motivating me to get out is that I don't have a pull-up bar and my home desk is literally not strong enough for me to do bodyweight rows on (it is a graffitied, retired pong table from my undergrad days and I would be actually sad if I snapped it with my tiny muscles).

I'm contemplating signing up for a summer class at a local gym (maybe crossfit?) to get used to heavier weights/familiarize myself with how to do it without hurting myself, but I also know that I'm very likely to not do that if I don't hold myself accountable. I'm hoping to find a few people I can check in with/hold me to my non-table-breaking pull-up goals and be friends with along the way (and if you ever need help with calculus, I've got you covered).

I love fantasy novels and video games (A Darker Shade of Magic and Persona 3/4/omg cannot wait for 5), and I'm excited to meet and cheer you guys on and maybe even find that elusive tasty kale smoothie recipe I have always dreamed of.

Having done Crossfit, if you were to go to my box I would support that idea since the guy that runs it will make you use a PVC pipe to get all the moves right before you ever touch a bar. Otherwise, do some youtube research, grab your own PVC pipe and a camera and record yourself doing the movements. Then put them up here in the "Form Check" forums, and you'll get a critique. Once you feel comfortable, go hit the gym and realize hardly anyone is actually watching you. :-)

If you were here about a year ago, I'd have been all over that calculus help, I got my ass handed to me in that class. Had to learn Trig and Algebra all over again at the same time due to my desire to not go back to school.

2 Cups plain greek yogurt

Banana to taste

Strawberry to taste

1 scoop vanilla protein powder (optional)

1 cup milk

small bunch of kale

Blend until smooth... and enjoy.

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

Hey!  I'm new here too.  Reading forever but this is my first post on the forums.

I was going to suggest exactly what you said - try a class!  When I first started working out, I loved lifting weights but didn't feel comfortable in the weight room.  Instead, I did Body Pump classes at my gym until I felt confident enough to go off on my own.  Also, it helps you get used to exercising in front of other people without feeling like you are the center of attention (because the instructor is!).  Eventually, you will feel comfortable at your gym and not even care who is watching you (I can almost guarantee no one is anyway so there's that...)

Good luck with your studies!  I am finishing up my third round of grad school and know how tough it can be (never finished my thesis for my Master's in Math  but did all the coursework, and will soon - in 2 weeks - have 2 Master's in Physics related fields).  I let my health slide for the last 2 years so don't be like me, okay?!

~Angela

~Angela

Runner, Lifter, Fitness Lover!

I blog at The Chicken Scoop