Forums are back in action! ×

Long Time Nerd, First Time Poster

I hurt my back very badly twice upon a time, and gained a bunch of weight. I was always a nerd and not really into running, but always enjoyed weight training, yoga, hiking, solo sports basically.

Have lost about 25 lbs via going Pesco-Vegetarian and elliptical and weight machines. It's cool, but the plateau is not fun. Some major upheavals in relationship and work (I'm on nights) and going back to school has put a damper on the efforts. On the plus side, back doesn't hurt anymore, knees stopped hurting as well.

The relationship upheaval opens up more time to focus on my health, which is a priority. The bad foods aren't appealing to me anymore, I'm loving the fresh fruits and veggies and such, but am unable to see the paleo diet in the near future. I just lost the taste for meat. I have read here that it is very effective, and diet is 80%, but I have to hope that the pesco-veggie isn't too bad... right?

Exercise regimen is now geared more towards overall strength training (pushups, planks, lunges, squats, dumbbell raises) and I just started some deadlifts today. Planning to walk the local park once I can find a time that works with my sleep/work/school routine and the hours of daylight =] Walking/running without being outside is one of the most boring things I can think of, but with my Vibrams and sun and trees it's awesome.

Problems: not strong enough to do a chin up yet, and my lunges and squats aren't 100% yet, working on getting them deeper but the past knee pain resurfaces before I hit 90 degrees. But hey, I'm definitely trying.

So, current weight: 225. Starting weight: 250. Goal: 21-24% body fat, whatever that weight ends up being as I continue to gain muscle/lose fat.

STR 5.25 | DEX 3.75 | CON 5.75 | END 3.5 | WIS 6 | CHA 5.5

Welcome to NF! :)

No worries about paleo; you don't HAVE to do it at all! Whateve works best for you :)

Feel free to ask us anything!

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

Welcome to the forums, Tanith. A quick google search tells me that the difference between vegetarians and pesco-vegetarians is that a pesco eats seafood? You're basically eating the paleo diet, sans other meat sources if I understand correctly. I don't see that being a huge problem.

I certainly understand the restraints of injury and work. I've just recovered from a leg injury myself and I work 7 PM to 7 AM on the night shift.

I look forward to following you as you progress.