Forums are back in action! ×

Long time nerd - First time forum poster

I've been reading Nerd Fitness for around 3 years now, but this is my official joining of the community and actually posting something. And it's taken me all this time because up until now I have thought I could 'go it alone', I thought I didn't need to share and that my lack of progress was due to me not trying hard enough. But as I sit here staring at the stagnate void that is my life I have come to release I need all the help I can get.

So hello :-)

I'm Fitsy, I live in the UK (I'm originally from New Zealand) and I do video game research - it's all statistics so not that glamours. I am studying part time towards a degree in Game Design which I have been doing for the last year and a half. I go rock climbing (indoor) at lest twice a week and I recently started running again. I do a fairly good job of eating well but since my main goal is weight-loss I know I need to focus on this A LOT more.

I think the biggest issue I face is the soul-destroying boredom of my day job. I hate my job, though my co-workers are for the most part lovely (silver lining!) I want to make games for a living not advise publishers how best to market their games. I also HATE statistics - cruel irony of the universe is it's what I'm good at and what got me into the UK. I won't be finished with study for at lest another year and a half and my work visa is tied to this job so until the magic luck fairy comes by with another opportunity, I am stuck. 

This perpetual state of mind-numbing limbo really is soul-destroying; I know there is no easy / quicker way through, I just have to keep crawling along. I don't know what I'll get out of sharing with you all, I just know I need you.

Or a puppy, but my landlord won't let me have pets so I guess you're up ;-)

Thank you for listening, sorry for offloading.

- Fitsy Fitscat

• Like 1

Hey Fitsy! Your post sounds like an excerpt from my current life (albeit quite a bit cooler than my own). I am currently stuck in a painfully boring, mostly sedentary job that I hate with a passion although mine is in local government and every day I feel like it's draining my soul. I want to get out but have no idea where to go or what to do. I feel stuck and miserable all the time and it's turning me into even more of a crazy person than I normally am! I've found that focusing on my eating habits and trying to get out to go walking during my lunches really helps to break up the work day and make it slightly more bearable. 

The running and rock climbing sound so awesome! I'm still too socially insecure to go to a rock climbing place (the idea of my thighs and butt in a harness are horrifying) but hope that I'll muster up the courage at some point. I get winded from practically nothing so running is quite a ways down the line for me right now but it's another thing I hope to work up to. 

It sounds like you are on your way to better things and to doing something that will make you happy! In the meantime, focus on your schooling and work on bettering your eating habits. A year and a half seems so long but if you make small goals along the way to break it up, it'll go by much quicker and you'll come out of it a better you!

I know I need to practice what I preach but I really think that you are going in the right direction. You're just stuck in a sucky lull. You've got this! 

Good luck!

• Like 1

Hey Fitsy! Your post sounds like an excerpt from my current life (albeit quite a bit cooler than my own). I am currently stuck in a painfully boring, mostly sedentary job that I hate with a passion although mine is in local government and every day I feel like it's draining my soul. I want to get out but have no idea where to go or what to do. I feel stuck and miserable all the time and it's turning me into even more of a crazy person than I normally am! I've found that focusing on my eating habits and trying to get out to go walking during my lunches really helps to break up the work day and make it slightly more bearable. 

The running and rock climbing sound so awesome! I'm still too socially insecure to go to a rock climbing place (the idea of my thighs and butt in a harness are horrifying) but hope that I'll muster up the courage at some point. I get winded from practically nothing so running is quite a ways down the line for me right now but it's another thing I hope to work up to. 

It sounds like you are on your way to better things and to doing something that will make you happy! In the meantime, focus on your schooling and work on bettering your eating habits. A year and a half seems so long but if you make small goals along the way to break it up, it'll go by much quicker and you'll come out of it a better you!

I know I need to practice what I preach but I really think that you are going in the right direction. You're just stuck in a sucky lull. You've got this! 

Good luck!

Thank you so much Wallisar, this was a lovely message to read and certainly has brightened my mood up! 

I think you're right I need to make some smaller goals to help me get through - I have sort of been doing this with Game jams (did Ludum dare a few weeks ago) only problem is there aren't any more till August. I guess it's a sign to go outside and enjoy summer lol.

Oddly climbing was the thing that got me back into proper exercise. I was a fair bit bigger than I am now and I had zero fitness. I did a training course which meant I got to meet other newbies and it's where I meet my climbing buddy who I climb with every week. Most clubs do social nights too so I can't recommend it enough  :D

Thank you again for your encouragement and I hope you find something which inspires you, so you can enjoy your career again.

So this is where the "Stuck in a lull" job goers meet up at. Count me in, I'm 1 year into a 2 year contract that I signed to get my engineering degree, and as I finished that degree the amount of work we got here fell off a cliff. Just gotta go a day at a time, also working out and recycling electronics has helped. Allows you to vent some stress...

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)