Forums are back in action! ×

Newbie questions about the Barbell workouts

My wife and I started the Barbell Battalion workout this morning, and I have a couple questions about it.

1. Our equipment is in the basement, which is the only convenient place for it. The ceiling down there is quite low and push presses are thus impossible. OK to substitute bench presses?

2. I'm confused about the difference between "warmup sets" and "work sets". How many warmup sets are we supposed to do, and how do we know what weight we should be lifting for the work sets? And how much more time is that going to add on to our workout? Because there are two of us doing the exercises, it takes longer to finish everything. This morning it took us an hour to warm up, do 5 sets of bench presses and 5 sets of squats each, and cool down. I don't think we can really spare much more than an hour.

Thanks! I look forward to seeing our progress as we work through the programs.

Guest Carjack

1. Pick up a barbell or dumbbell and farmer's walk outside between sets to overhead press, one handed or two handed.

2. The number of warm up sets you need is relative to how much weight you're lifting and your physical condition. Don't make tiny five pound jumps. 20 pound jumps between warm up sets are fine for most people.

Sets quit being a warm up set when you reach your final weight and do multiple sets, unless you increase weight each set, because then there would be no distinction to make.

45 pounds x 5

85lb x 5

105lb x 4

135lb x 4

175lb WORK SET 3 x 5 and 1 x 3 is a typical warm up and work set scheme.

I only warm up on my big lifts. Before the warm up sets I might do a few overhead dumbbell swings, trunk twists (don't hold a weight for this), kicks, etc.

The jumps in weight are to prepare your nervous system, get you in the groove to perform with good form and get your muscles warm and pliable. As long as all that's done, you're fine.

Guest Snake McClain

First let me say that you should definitely heed carjack's advice as he knows what he is talking about and always has sound solid advice.

Second i have a question since we are talkinga bout this. I'm doing the barbell batallion myself and I guess my question is about warm up sets too. i see what you have listed here and it makes sense as to how to add weight to the warm up. but the big question here for me is what is the purpose of the warm up set? i have not done warm up sets AT ALL and i've had no problems. so i guess why do them? (i do not ask why do them in a manner saying "that is stupid so why do it?" i literally just have no experience in this and i haven't had any ill effects. also why stretch afterwards? cavemen didn't warm up or stretch they just did stuff so i guess i'm just curious to get an intelligent lifters thoughts here.

Cavemen didn't have cars or office chairs or TV or any of the other factors in our sedentary lives.

If you removed all of these and were constantly moving around, or you worked a manual job involving lifting and went straight to the gym after, you probably wouldn't need to warm up either.

Without warming up your muscles don't prepare for the load you're about to put on them. I think it gets significantly more important the heavier the load. When I was doing stronglifts we didn't start doing warmup sets until 60-70kg (150lb ish) on the squats, but I found I ached less and performed better if we did warm-up.

I'm not a biologist, but in my imagination our muscles act a bit like blu tack. if you warm it up and stretch it over a period of time, it ain't gonna break without a lot of pressure. Pick up some thats cold and it'll tear in two.

Whatever you are, be a good one.

Although not as good a movement, you can always do seated overhead presses, if you're able to safely/comfortably unrack the weight while seated on your bench.

As for warmup sets, you won't need much if you're just starting. Simple way to do it is one set at 40-ish% of your first work set, another warmup at 70-ish% for less reps. Then work sets.

So for simplicity sake, let's say your first work set (or all of them, if you're doing sets across) is 100 pounds.

warmup set 1: 40 x 5

warmup set 2: 70 x 3

work set 1: 100 x 5

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." --GK Chesterton

Domine, non sum dignus ut intres sub tectum meum, sed tantum dic verbo et sanabitur anima mea...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jbaileysewell

i have not done warm up sets AT ALL and i've had no problems. so i guess why do them? (i do not ask why do them in a manner saying "that is stupid so why do it?" i literally just have no experience in this and i haven't had any ill effects. also why stretch afterwards? cavemen didn't warm up or stretch they just did stuff so i guess i'm just curious to get an intelligent lifters thoughts here.

For the warmups, frankly, you might not be lifting enough yet to really need them. When you're opening with squats in the 300s, though, you're going to feel differently, I assure you. It's a good habit to get into early, though. A lot of the best lifters out there STILL warmup, starting with the bar, and working up by 50 or 90 pound jumps.

As for stretching, qpop's got it. If you're walking around all day and are staying generally athletic you likely wouldn't need to stretch, or warmup. Given that our athletic activity is generally limited to a small portion of the day, stretching and especially warmups are smart. (though general mobility through the day is, I feel, better than a full on "strech session", but your mileage may vary)

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." --GK Chesterton

Domine, non sum dignus ut intres sub tectum meum, sed tantum dic verbo et sanabitur anima mea...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jbaileysewell

Knightwatch is so right in this once you get heavy: I'd been neglecting my warmups ("just get to the fun stuff") in squats and suffering. Last session, I took a cue from other squatter logs and did twice as many, and lo, my squat was back to where I expected it to be.

And to the OP, low ceilings are an ass. Bench is definitely a different movement to overhead, and both complement each other. Personally I'd do seated press as carrying kit outside is almost as much of an ass (the seated vs standing doesn't work your core so well, but it'll do). With the bench behind you and the bar at your feat, clean the bar to your chest, then sit back as you would for a front squat.

Guest Carjack

but the big question here for me is what is the purpose of the warm up set?

You'll see when you get to the heavier weights and actually need a warm up.

Reasons for the warm up are:

1. Warm muscles are pliable muscles. This prevents cramps and allows you to lift heavier.

2. You can't just get away with jumping jacks to warm up if you're lifting over 200. The increasing sets from a light weight have a psychological effect, getting you "in a groove" where the heavy weight won't surprise you. So in other words you can lift heavier after a few ramp up sets.

As to stretching, have you ever had a dog? Dogs and cats definitely stretch, but not in the long static style. More like frequent yawning downward dog type poses and contorted resting positions.

People in third world countries and east Asia tend to sit in a deep squat that resembles the Olympic squat.

PS: I don't mean to suggest carrying individual plates outside. Load up the bar and walk sideways out the door, then clean & press the thing. Seated presses can put pressure on the spine and don't work all the muscles used in a standing exercise.