Forums are back in action! ×

need help and accountability to respawn

I've been working out for the past 3 years.  Mostly cross-fit style with olympic style lifts.  I love the lifts!

Last year at this same time I was in great shape.  I ran a mini-marathon, I was on a paleo diet and I felt great.  Forward one year, I'm the heaviest I've ever been.  I have worked out in 4 months.  I'm on the tail end of a string of high stress situation along with injuries.  I need to get back in it.  I need help and accountability.

I don't want to get into details about the last year but the events include building a new house, had our 3rd baby (2 weeks ago), new job.  Injuries include shoulder, foot, knee and back with a "No more babies" surgery thrown in for good measure.

I stress eat, mostly carbs and have ballooned to a heavy 220.  I was at 185 last year at this time.  I'm 5-6 and have always had a musclier (thick) build.  I was 170 in my super fit high school years (with a 6 pack and everything).  I'm not 35 and get winded with taking long walks.  

With my shoulder injury, I can't do the heavy lifting anymore.  I really enjoyed the lifting and disliked the aerobic part.  I did it because the trainer made me :)  I get nausea really easy which makes exertion very unenjoyable.

I'm thinking about joining the Academy.  I love the RPG format.  I used https://habitrpg.com/static/frontf or a while and it was a ton of fun.  Would you guys recommend this path?

I'm also looking for other like me who can help keep me honest and motivated.  I hope to be able to repay the same to others.

Thanks for reading,

Neil

hey! I've not done the Academy, but heard great things about it! It's the middle of the challenge right now, but if you want to wander over and see what the 6 week challenges are all about you can go here for the overall one and here for the recruits (the best place to get started). You can join the recruits anytime, but since its already week 4 they'll probably ask you to do the next 6 week as a recruit too so you make sure and learn all the ropes.

I would suggest trying out different types of exercise to see what works best for you. Maybe there is something a little more cardio/aerobic based that you like? Doesn't have to be running, maybe biking? hiking? so many options out there. 

You thought about going back to paleo? Did you enjoy it? did it work for you? 

• Like 1

Try not, do or do not- Yoda

had our 3rd baby (2 weeks ago), new job.  

pics or it didn't happen! :P

congratulations.

• Like 1

My Profile        |     I must not fear.  Fear is the mind killer.

My Battle Log  |     Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration.

|     I will face my fear.  I will permit it to pass over me and through me.

Start to Run      |     And when it has gone past, I will turn the inner eye to see its path.

|   Where the fear has gone, there will be nothing.  Only I will remain.

hey! I've not done the Academy, but heard great things about it! It's the middle of the challenge right now, but if you want to wander over and see what the 6 week challenges are all about you can go here for the overall one and here for the recruits (the best place to get started). You can join the recruits anytime, but since its already week 4 they'll probably ask you to do the next 6 week as a recruit too so you make sure and learn all the ropes.

I would suggest trying out different types of exercise to see what works best for you. Maybe there is something a little more cardio/aerobic based that you like? Doesn't have to be running, maybe biking? hiking? so many options out there. 

You thought about going back to paleo? Did you enjoy it? did it work for you? 

Thanks!  I'll checkout the challenges and recruits area.  I did end up signing up for the Academy.  I really needed the support.

I do like hiking and biking.  I can't run much.  I had http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osgood%E2%80%93Schlatter_diseaseas a kid and it's still effecting me.  When I was training for the mini, anything over 30 min and i had pain.  I want to do this right this time and not get injured.  I'll find something!

I did like paleo.  It was pretty easy to follow when I was strict.  The tough part is having the entire family follow it.  Some nights we were cooking 2 dinners.  That's not really viable long term.  My wife and I are talking about a modified paleo where we reduce all the sugars.

pics or it didn't happen! :tongue:

congratulations.

Absolutely!  

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/172732/0414151946a.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/172732/0414151837.jpg

• Like 1