Forums are back in action! ×

Knee surgery recovery...

So in June 2011, I went through knee surgery.

Feeling relatively unfit and unhealthy going into it anyway... as my knee had been hampering my training.

Now, 5 months later I've shifted to a probably 90% paleo diet, and increased my training regieme (also buying a mountain bike in the process)

- I've lost 15kg, going from 118kg down to 103kg.

- I graded and achieved my Blue Belt in Zen Do Kai.

- I'm close to running a 50min 10km again.

- On the weekend I competed in an offroad Triathlon (350m swim, 10km mountain bike, 4km trail run, 350m swim, 10km mountain bike, 4km trail run) and shaved about 40mins off my PB time (and beat my mate by 5mins - even after a puncture on the first lap - which resulted in a difference of 7mins between my first bike and second)

- Last night I was awarded my Blue Belt in Brazilian Jujitsu (I can't stop grinning about this one)

Aside from having to buy a new wardrobe because all my clothes are too big for me, I'm feeling pretty awesome. Moving quicker on the mat and feeling lighter on my feet, I'm training harder than I have my whole life (roughly about 15 - 20 hours a week in various ZDK, BJJ, Boxing, Running, Outrigger, Mountain Biking, CrossFit)

Already set my eyes on more goals

- Make the top mens crew in my outrigger club for next season

- Lose another 10kg (to get below 95kg - I can't remember when I was this light - probably about 15 years ago at least though?)

- Grade for my Green Belt in ZDK

- Complete another 30km trail run and beat my PB... Considering maybe my first 50km?

So yeah... looking forward to pushing on and pushing harder. I'm thankful for the people that I train with, that push me hard and still make me want to come back time and time again (for more punishment) and for the support and encouragement they give me.

I wear my bruises, raw knuckles and scrapes (from falling off the mountain bike) as badges of honor - achieved in leveling up.

Bring it on!