Forums are back in action! ×

Visual Change Fast

Disclaimer: many of you know me and you know that I'm a HUGE proponent of healthy fitness above all else.

That said, my fitness plan has been going great these last 4 months (wow 4 months!) but I just got asked to do a performance end of this month that I thought I could put off until the late spring.

What recommendations can people give for me to speed up my visual physique in just 4 weeks? I'm still over on %bf and working on developing my arms and chest. Ideally performance would involved bare arms but otherwise fully clothed. V-shape ideal.

Thoughts of what side-path I can take on this before re-focusing on overall fitness and health?

Currently I am doing 95% primal at around 500-1000 calorie deficit per day alternating 5x5s with body weight workouts and greasing the groove 6 days a week with pullups.

<prepares to be flamed>

One day at a time. No excuses. Battle Log | Current Challenge - Bleep All the Things

i don't care what u think of me. unless u think i'm awesome. in which case u're right.

Intro - Workout Log - ABS Log - Fitness Philosophy - Accountability - NERDEE - Weight Maintenance

Cut a lot of carbs. Make sure you get adequate protein, which, if you're going to aggressively reduce calories, needs to be at or above 1g/lb TOTAL body weight. Not lean.

The week before you perform, bring carbs back. It'll put you're weight up a bit, but it's all lean, and it'll make you look fuller.

BTW I'm assuming you mean bodybuilding performance.

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

Yeah, you may look better but you will feel like cr@p while you are performing. If what you will be doing requires anywhere near peak performance I don't recommend the BB protocols. Especially if you stand to drop someone on his head...

i don't care what u think of me. unless u think i'm awesome. in which case u're right.

Intro - Workout Log - ABS Log - Fitness Philosophy - Accountability - NERDEE - Weight Maintenance

Should have rephrased!!! I am NO where near body-building physique.

I've got a poi/dance performance. I haven't had major stage time for over a decade, so was hoping to keep off until spring when I'd have no shame being shirtless (at least that's the plan).

I want to improve my VISUAL appearance because, to me, performance is gestalt. Every little detail helps increase the overall.

My arms are starting to get larger and more defined, but I'd like to accelerate the process if possible. Same thing with reducing my gut and increasing a visual v look. I'm tall (6'2") with long arms so accentuating length and height is ideal for the visual I often go for.

One day at a time. No excuses. Battle Log | Current Challenge - Bleep All the Things

Give the BB protocol a try if you are doing a performance that doesn't require maximum effort. We all have to suffer for our art. It will make you look better even w/o a BB physique. Pay particular attention to the water management, which will usually involve a diuretic like coffee or something more concentrated. Being dehydrated will make you look leaner and more muscular. Don't overdo it so that you don't run out of gas in the middle of your performance. As long as you aren't doing flips and acrobatics, you should be ok. Good luck.

Yeah, it works if you have any muscle at all to highlight. Everyone has some. It will actually make you smaller by draining water out, but you will look bigger because you will have better muscle definition. The peak week only takes a week (hence the name), but you have to be careful that you peak at the right time. It may be challenging to try it if you've never done it b4 b/c everyone reacts differently to a new regimen, but this is as good a time as any to try to put your best foot fwd. If you are performer, you have to do your best to put the best product out there, and you know better what that is. Unless you are a solid mesomorph with no BF, you'll look better from far away.

I've followed primal blueprint fairly closely (hence losing as quickly as I have) so potentially there's nothing more I can do short-notice than the "tricks" with water. I'm really curious what would happen to me if I tried to carb load the week of the performance, though... That's a lot of broccoli to get to 3-5 grams/pound! I'd guess around 700 grams a day?!?

Carb loading, if you want to do primal, is a lot of potatoooo. Otherwise you'll have to buck up and eat the easy carbs (pasta, juice, bread, etc). It's just not very manageble to get it from whole food sources.

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

That's a lot of broccoli to get to 3-5 grams/pound! I'd guess around 700 grams a day?!?

Hmm... 700g/day divided by 4g/lb = 175lbs of broccoli/day

Will potatoes make me sick like wheat/sugar does? I've found my body can't handle those at all anymore.

I'm pretty sure 175lbs of broccoli/day will...

you probably meant 3-5g/lb of BW - not broccoli, but the calculation is more fun the way I did it... ;-p