Forums are back in action! ×

So I'm 20 years old, 5"3 and about 170 lbs right now. My weight is not that big of an issue to me but I am looking to lose a bit for the sake of my health and fitness. My mum is a BIG supporter of this (she's a weight loss fanatic) and is always advocating for my sister and I to eat healthy. My main problem is the gym.

Don't get me wrong, I love the gym. I love feeling the burn that comes with pumping some weights or doing some aerobics. (I especially love squats and dead lift days.) Plus the results Ii get really boost my self esteem and morale and often keep me positive and help me start my day right. But my problem is that my body's limits and my mind's don't quite mesh.

More often than not, I end up in a good place with my exercises, getting a decent rhythm and even starting to move on to heavier weights when...a muscle pulls or some knot develops in my muscles. Then I'll be down for the count and for days at a time just trying to get over the pain. The worst bit is though, that I don't even lift that heavy. I mostly work out with 3-8lb dumb bells or 5-10 lb barbells. And everything else is mostly body weight exercises. 

Now before I used to have a personal trainer who was working with me to overcome this, but as I have begun to start saving up for college I've had to let him go and now I have to deal with this issue on my own. Does anyone have any advice on what I could do? Do you think I should see a doctor about this?

what sort of warm up do you do?  I try to do 5 min on the rowing machine pre every workout.  seems to help loosen me up.  is there any particular spots that seem to always be promatic for you?

Keep calm and be studly

....maybe one of these days I will actually starting throwing around some real weight....

what sort of warm up do you do?  I try to do 5 min on the rowing machine pre every workout.  seems to help loosen me up.  is there any particular spots that seem to always be promatic for you?

I typically do 10-30 minutes on a treadmill or step climber or if neither is available I'll do 40 jumping jacks. My most problematic spots are my arms though, mostly in the shoulder and tricep areas but I have had pain in the back of my legs (my hamstring I think?) before.

For barbell work try the row machine for a warm up. I'm still a beginner lifter, but working with dumbbells between 20-30 lbs and have my major lifts in the mid 100's- I row 500 meters and more importantly REST. Take your time between sets. I always try to rush through it but have learned to take a full 60 seconds to 90 seconds between heavy sets or I start to exhaust my muscles mid set after the second one. 

Lastly, cool down and stretch. If I'm working with heavy weights I tend to do some bodyweight exercises (push ups for upper body, lunges/squats for lower body) before I foam roll EVERYTHING. 

Spend a good 10-20 mins foam rolling and working the kinks out of your muscles afterwards and if you feel tight the next day go in early and roll some more. 

Spaz Ranger

BATTLE LOG

You can have results or excuses. Not both

rolling with a lacrosse ball / baseball can be helpful too.  I'm still looking for an article to link, but they can be effective too.  For calves and hamstrings, especially, you can use a barbell with 2.5 or 5 lb weights on each side. have a partner roll the bar up and down the backside of your legs while sitting on the floor

Keep calm and be studly

....maybe one of these days I will actually starting throwing around some real weight....