Forums are back in action! ×

The hunger monster....FEED ME EVERYTHING!

Goddamn, when I get hungry I had better have a healthy snack easily available.  When I get hungry (and I often ignore my body until I am hangry) then I make really bad decisions.  For example, today, I was hangry and went to Target and walked around the store for about 30 minutes and finally settled on a bag of Tim's Sea Salt and Vinegar potato chips.  ....oops.

I need to have healthy, easily eatable snacks with me at all times.  I really need to work on stocking my car with healthy non-perishables.  I've been trying to severely limit my intake of processed foods (if it comes out of a box or a can, I typically don't eat it - there are, of course, exceptions, but I've been trying to eat a lot of raw fruits/veggies, etc.). 

Do folks have ideas of healthy non-perishables non-processed to keep in my car?  I drive about an hour to work and it typically takes me an hour or more to get back home....it's been really hot here so I've been trying not to keep fruits/veggies in my car (unless I take them to work, put then in the fridge or not in my hot car and then take them home with me - it's difficult for me to take them home, though, because I often just want to escape my office).

Advice?

Thanks, folks!

Cheers,

A

I would suggest nuts. They are a good source of protein and fat. I used to bring them with me when I was doing whole 30 and needed a healthy snack. You also might try dried fruit. Along those lines try making your own trail mix.

A suggestion for remembering to take home fruits and veggies from the fridge is to set an alarm on your phone. I have to do that so I remember my afternoon snack.

Hope that helps!

• Like 1

I do protein bars (I swear Quest needs to hire me as a spokesperson), pre-portioned raw cashews, jerky packs and water in the car/in my purse. 

However if you have time to go to Target, walk around for 30 mins and grab chips don't you have 5 minutes to walk in, grab some fruit and head home instead? 

Spaz Ranger

BATTLE LOG

You can have results or excuses. Not both

If you're trying to lose weight or keep your calories in check, make sure you weigh and portion out the nuts beforehand. They're high in calories and it's very easy to eat a lot of them. I have 25g most days and it's sad, like about 8 nuts. I could easily eat the hole bag. Jerky is awesome but pricey and easy to eat the whole 50g portion in one handful.

Looking at your post I wonder if it might not be better to avoid being hungry in your car in the first place, so why not change breakfast and lunch to be more filling or have a more substantial snack before you get in the car (Greek yoghurt, banana, bran cereal and flaxseed is my favourite)? Seeing that you're planning some major bike rides, that's another reason to really get a good amount of protein in to keep you full, on top of snacks.

If it's a case of making the car ride a little less crappy just by putting things in your mouth, which is understandable, consider those calorie-free mints or something. Although they can have laxative effects in large amounts. It might wean you off the habit in the end though!

• Like 1

warrior : level 8

str: 20.75 | dex: 13.75 | sta: 11.75 | con: 9.75 | wis: 8.25 | cha: 4.75

''Difficult' and 'impossible' are cousins often mistaken for one another, with very little in common' - Locke Lamora

Several people offered you snack options, which is what you asked for, but I hope to offer suggestions from a different angle - please disregard if this would not help your problem or if you're not interested in this advice.

Another option might be to attempt to control your meals and their timing.  Your work sounds unpleasant and like it has a strong effect on your emotions - which also can have a strong effect on appetite and drive you to be less aware of hunger until you are extremely hungry.

Do you have the option of trying to eat a great, healthy, filling meal before work?  Maybe one with a decent amount of protein, healthy fats, and veggies?  That can help for quite a few hours.

Is there a way to set up some sort of timer on your computer or anything else at work to notify yourself that it is your lunchtime and that you -should- be hungry, so you should stop and eat what you earlier decided you should eat, even if you're not hungry right then?  (Of course it is best to listen to your body, but if you're in a chaotic stress storm, your body's hunger signals can be profoundly affected.  If that is what a person faces, eating by the clock can be the sanest possible option, really, especially if the alternative is not realizing or noticing any hunger until you hit a breaking point)

Is it possible for you to search for some healthy dining options close to where you work - and look for them when you are not hungry or stressed?  Target is not known for their healthy food (though many Targets have a tiny foodcourt, and some have healthier food options available while in there.... but probably still not fully healthy).  But there are places that offer healthier food depending on where you live, and when you're not hungry you can possibly use the internet or even a phone book to search - or maybe just drive around your area and find right choice(s) for you.  Check out the menu during a good time, decide what you'll eat when stressed when you're in a good place in your head - and come back and do those plans under stress.

Right your intentions down and have them folded in your wallet, if that helps you.  You'll need money or a card to pay for whatever food you get, so.... that can help remind you of what you intended while you were making the kinds of choices that you want to make.

Sometimes I eat well before work and go all the way to being done before I get home and eat again.  I too sometimes just want to flee work, and just work through breaks so I can leave sooner - and sometimes I sustain myself thinking about the great already cooked food that I have at home waiting for me - I had a great breakfast with slow digesting stuff that helped me get through much of my day... just gotta get home and heat up the food I most want to eat, I can do this, I can do this.... Some days I planned to do that, and I do it.  Others not so much.

I hope you can find answers you like and that do work for you, good luck!

Level 1 NPC Assassin

Strength: 2Dexterity: 0 Stamina: 3 Constitution: 1 Wisdom: 4Charisma: 0

Current Quest  |  Previous Quest Current Stats

Weight Loss Goal: 40 of 116 lbs; 296 to 180

{progress='1e90ff'}34.5{/progress}