Forums are back in action! ×

My mom bought me a gym membership

She bought a household membership to the local YMCA, to be exact. (I only say it's for me because I asked her for a gym membership for Christmas, so it was my idea. :))

I need suggestions for what I can do for a routine, both on cardio days and strength days. I know I'm going to be using the elliptical machines, but for how long should I start with? And since I've heard so many great things about deadlifts, I'd like to start doing those as well, but how many and at what weight should I start with? I can actually keep up with most of the cardio exercises on my P90X discs now, except for maybe the last 5-10 seconds of the segment. I'm also still only lifting 10lbs dumbbells right now at 12-15 reps, but I could probably lift 20 lbs if I did fewer reps (to give an idea of what I'm currently capable of.) Also, since I love to swim, I'm definitely going to be making good use of their swimming pool. ^_^

Outside of that, though, I have no idea what to do for a routine... Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Also, just to add that I know that diet accounts for 80% of weight loss, and I think I've done pretty good at cleaning up my diet mostly. 70% healthy or better most weeks, and I've still been losing. Even on weeks when I haven't been working out. Lately though, I've been living off of grilled cheese, tomato soup, rice, eggs and green tea.

Deedlit

Battle Log LiveStrong Profile

"Obstacles are what you see when you take your eyes off the goal."

Wow, your mom is awesome! I wish mine would pay for my gym membership. :)

On cardio, it doesn't really matter too much what you do, as far as I can tell. Elliptical machines are good! I'd set it at a level where you can do half an hour straight, and then start slowly moving up the resistance and length of your workout from there. I usually try and do around 45 mins. Or if you can't do half an hour straight yet, work up to that. I trained up my endurance with running, using the C25K program. It's really good, simple and free, I recommend it.

On weights, I started with this, and have found it to be really good too. Just starting to get to the point after a few months where I want to change it up a little. http://newbie-fitness.blogspot.com/2007/01/stripped-5x5.html

Pain is the feeling of weakness leaving the body.

Blog | Pinterest | Fitocracy

I need suggestions for what I can do for a routine, both on cardio days and strength days. I know I'm going to be using the elliptical machines, but for how long should I start with?

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiHhc7eLpQY

And since I've heard so many great things about deadlifts, I'd like to start doing those as well, but how many and at what weight should I start with?

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

You may want to look at the Getting Stronger section of 4 Hour Body. Effortless Superhuman: Breaking World Records with Barry Ross.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=Syt7A23YnpA

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyF--C0r8PI

As far as strength training checkout 70's Big. Justin has been posting an article on strength training for women every monday for the past couple of months. Just go through the archives. Here are a couple to start you off.

http://www.70sbig.com/blog/2011/08/getting-girls-to-train/

http://www.70sbig.com/blog/2011/09/getting-girls-to-train-2/

http://www.70sbig.com/blog/2011/09/getting-girls-to-train-3/

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I'll have to look through a lot of this when I get home, as I'm at work at the moment... And yes, my mom is pretty awesome eve though she annoys me 90% of the time. ^_^; I figure I can always just takes bits and pieces (or rather, large chunks) of Ashley Horner's routine and use that: http://www.simplyshredded.com/ashley-horner-talks-with-simplyshredded ...At least as a starter. I think for this week I may just go a few days and make use of the pool as much as I can, and start a real routine next week. (In the meantime, I'm still working with my P90X discs.)

Deadlifts are divine; squats are bootylicious. ;)

I'm hoping they are! My hips are currently at 43 inches. They've been that way for months now, but I still measure them weekly... I'd like to not lose any inches from my hips if I can help it, so I know squats are a must!

Deedlit

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I'll have to look through a lot of this when I get home, as I'm at work at the moment... And yes, my mom is pretty awesome eve though she annoys me 90% of the time. ^_^; I figure I can always just takes bits and pieces (or rather, large chunks) of Ashley Horner's routine and use that: http://www.simplyshredded.com/ashley-horner-talks-with-simplyshredded ...At least as a starter. I think for this week I may just go a few days and make use of the pool as much as I can, and start a real routine next week. (In the meantime, I'm still working with my P90X discs.)

I'm hoping they are! My hips are currently at 43 inches. They've been that way for months now, but I still measure them weekly... I'd like to not lose any inches from my hips if I can help it, so I know squats are a must!

Learn Kettlebell Swings aka Kettlebell Hip Drives ! They will take care of the backside ! Hamstrings & Glutes
Guest Carjack

Everyone on fitness forums thinks bodybuilding doesn't work for non-steroid users and will say it's "gay".

They all secretly want to look like bodybuilders.

In order to drag you down to their level, they'll recommend you do a minimalist powerlifting program that doesn't work all your muscles or coincide with your goals.

If you want extreme results like that female bodybuilder, you'll need to do extreme training. Start with squats, deadlifts, presses and rows, then work up from there as your body adapts.

Study strongman training, powerlifting, Olympic lifting and old school bodybuilding so you can use the best training methods.

Lifting heavy is a given, based on what I already know from joining NF. :) It's just a matter of figuring out what is heavy for me right now. I'd love to use kettlebells, but after doing a little bit of research on them it seems like they not be a good idea if you don't know what to do with them (which, I don't.) I'm sure that goes for anything, though. I'm going tomorrow morning to do a wellness consultation. I know what my goals are, and I have a general idea of what to do to get there, (thanks guys!) but I do need someone to should me how to use the equipment since I am just starting out. Form is pretty much everything...

I'm also a little bit nervous to start out, since it's my first time going to any gym, and I'm going to be going alone... -_-;

Deedlit

Start with just the bar and just add a little bit each week. If you've never lifted heavy before then start out with the smallest weight increment available. It may feel silly sometimes, but just keep at it. Soon people will be gawking at how strong you've become.

Also, free weights, always. Machines just don't cut it when it comes to strength and muscle gain.

Also, also, when lifting heavy you will more than likely have to eat way more than you'd think in order to make gains. It's totally possible to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time. The guy from Lean Gains is a testament to that fact.

Good Luck!

My Blog - Two Bar Garage

My Workouts - Yeti Fit

I know what my goals are, and I have a general idea of what to do to get there, (thanks guys!) but I do need someone to should me how to use the equipment since I am just starting out. Form is pretty much everything...

I'm also a little bit nervous to start out, since it's my first time going to any gym, and I'm going to be going alone... -_-;

In Minneapolis at least, the Ys are really good at giving a good orientation and having someone on hand to answer questions and show you how to use equipment. But you might have to be insistant about wanting to use free weights.

Have fun.

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

Don't be afraid to ask other lifters about what they are doing, or for help unloading a bar that some clod has left loaded. (Most lifters really are friendly. We're just serious, not angry...well most of the time)

Your body is YOUR body and the gym is your lab for learning about it. Get to know how it works, what heavy weights do to it, when it is saying DONE!!, when it is tired but can do 1 more rep. Watch, research, try it out.

It NEVER hurts to start ridiculously light. If I'm trying a new exercise, I start with half of what I think I can do. Easy to add more weights. Hard to do less after you've hurt yourself.

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

Guest Snake McClain

a little advice (this is what i did) start with just the bar. I believe starting strength advertises this. I started with just the bar on my overhead presses and dead lifts just to get the feel for it. after a week or two i started adding weight. here a month later i'm over head pressing 110 and deadlifting 115. just do that to get the form down. then add a little weight and see how you feel etc. that's what worked for me anyway.

on a side note i say good for you for lifting heavy. can't wait to see what you do.

I went today for my Wellness Consulation. I filled out the standard form regarding where I am now and where I want to be, and what my goals are, etc. The fitness rep walked me around the gym and showed me how to use the equipment. She was really enthusiastic when she started showing me the weight machines... and I kind of just watched with a skeptical stance. She was surprised when I told her I'd rather use free weights and barbells. She got excited when I told her I wanted to do deadlifts and barbell squats. :) She showed me how to use the treadmill, elliptical, and cycling machines... I was only on each for no more than 2 minutes, just to try it out... those ellipticals are hard! lol I was actually tired after using it for such a short period of time. I had her show me how to do squats and dedlifts and critique my form. (She said it was perfect.) She thought it was really great that I was planning to do deadlifts and squats, bench press, etc. I think she was almost more excited about me starting than I am! Since I'm not getting apersonal trainer, (today was just a consult,) I just need to get hubby to agree to come with me so he can spot me on some of the heavier lifts I plan to do, and I'll be good.

I'm still working on creating myself an actual schedule for MWF. I am planning to combine strength and cardio on the same days (MWF) and then use T-Th for swimming. Thank you all for your help and support. When I actually have a schedule created for myself I'll post it so you can let me know what you think. Definitely by Saturday.

Deedlit

Here's the workout plan I have figured out:

Monday, Back biceps: (All 3x10)

pushups

pull-ups

back flyes

lat pull down

back rows

bench press

deadlifts

Cardio: 20 minutes Elliptical

Wednesday, Legs: (All 3x10)

Lunge and curl

Squat and press

calf raises w/ weight

plie` squats w/ kettlebell weights

jump squats

squats w/ barbell

Cardio: 20 minutes cycling machine

Friday, triceps and shoulders: (aim is 3x10 for each)

Deep swimmer's press

Military press

Bench Dips

Shoulder flyes

Alternating shoulder press

pull-ups - wide hands

Lying tricep extensions

Cardio: 20 minutes treadmill

MWF, Ab routine:

Leg raises, as many as I can, but 10 is the goal

Vertical leg crunches, 20

Leg lifts, 20 each leg

Bicycle crunches, goal is 50

If it looks like I just google'd a bunch of exercises and mixed them into a routine... that's because I did. Any advice or critique of this list is appreciated. Of course, the sets, reps, and weight will change with my needs. Is there anything I should add? Any thing I should remove? My husband said that I should use the leg press machine. I told him I didn't want to because it makes the exercise too easy, and he laughed at me. I told him squats are better. :P lol

Deedlit

Guest Carjack

Routines listed in my squat thread are better because they're full body and not full of boring or wasteful exercises.

If you want to do a split with different exercises on different days, you shouldn't go the "isolate a bodypart per day of the week" route.

Should be more like:

Monday: Overhead press, squat, grip.

Tuesday: Bench, row.

Wednesday: Same as Monday.

Thursday: Deadlifts and pull ups.

...etc.

Back flyes and stuff like that are unnecessary if you dumbbell or pendlay row or do any progression towards a pull up.

Triceps extensions, bench dips, etc, are unnecessary or you overhead press barbells or dumbbells or bench press. Your triceps will get plenty of work before delts are tired.

Weird leg exercises are unnecessary if you squat.

Overhead presses, one arm presses, deadlifts, back squats and especially front squats will build up your abs.

Weird complexes like lunge and curl can't be done progressively heavy for long before the lunge part gets useless, so I'd ditch that.

Best basic exercises that are good for most beginners:

Squat (power, Olympic, goblet or front), deadlift, bench, military press, row or pull up, power or Olympic clean.

Best isolation/supplementary:

Biceps and wrist curls (any kind), barbell shrugs, French press, calf raise, hamstring raise, all grip work imaginable.

Books or sites:

EXRX.net

The Development of Physical Power by Arthur Saxon (very good general advice early in)

Great Strength by Muscle Control, by Maxick (every overhead movement you'll ever need)

dieselcrew.com for the tutorials on squat, deadlift and bench press

ditillo2.blogspot.com

I agree with Carjack it's too early to be worrying about isolation exercises just yet. You need to build a good strength foundation first, and that is best accomplished with compound movements. Here's a quick program by Justin Lascek found a this link.

http://www.70sbig.com/blog/2011/09/getting-girls-to-train-2/

Day A

Press

Squat

Back extension

Tabata stationary cycle

Day B

Bench

RDL

Assisted Pull-up machine

30/30 Running Interval

30/30 implies 30 seconds of running followed by 30 seconds of rest. The speed should be more challenging than a mere yog.

This set up could be alternated two to four times a week, although three would be optimal. Instead of just writing in “high intensity endurance training”, I actually filled in the conditioning portion with examples. There are two larger barbell movements in each day, then a useful assistance exercise, then an intensity-based endurance workout. The resistance for the bike and speed on the treadmill could be increased slowly over time to increase the stress and fitness. This little program would develop the legs, ass, and arms, but also provide a good foundation of strength to shift into a more serious strength program if the girl wants to.

I know I keep touting this, but its the best introductory program I've found. Also check out his book FIT.

You've received a lot of really great advice! I've been on this site for barely a week and I'm very impressed with the members. Here's my two bits - always, always focus on form (as in lifting technique - be perfect), and gaining strength (as measured by how much you lift this time vs. last time).

When I'm getting burned out at the gym the thought that always gets me there is "I won't regret it". I never regret a workout, but I've regretted missing them.

Thanks again for the advice!

I just have once question: What's the difference between deadlifts and roman deadlifts? Is it just that with one you bend your knees to pick up the weight and the other you keep them straight? I tried looking it up before, and that was the only difference I could really see...

Deedlit