Forums are back in action! ×

Indie Games: any fans and/or developers out there?

I've been kicking the idea around in my head since I was 11... make a video game. How fun would that be? I've always loved video games, drawing, music-ing, and recently I've picked up programming.

And it turns out now couldn't be a better time to make my own with all the tools and markets out there.

I'm thinking this could be a cool side business or hobby to get into. And I wonder if there are any NFers that are into it.

If so, speak up!

• Like 1

=====================================================================================================

--Stronkey Kong--

Hey! My name's Seb.

I haven't ever released any games yet, but my brother and I (as well as a friend) are working on a sci fi platformer game at the moment, and I'm personally working on a Fantasy platformer rpg type game. So many other things in life keep getting in the way, and I made the mistake of trying to add shaders to my Fantasy game... they look awesome but they create so much lag on my computer (which is definitely not the newest), and I don't understand enough OpenGL to be able to optimize it much for now. Shaders are so confusing to me. :P

Despite how much Gamemaker is seen as an amateur tool, that's what we've decided to program our games in. Honestly, it's in part because I am an amateur, but I'm still passionate about it. I haven't ever taken any courses in programming or anything but I still plan on making these games.

Anyway, we have plans to finish our Sci Fi game, Orion, some day, and I plan to finish my fantasy game (untitled so far) as well. Sometimes I find it hard to convince myself that spending hours trying to make the game stop being laggy is worth my time when I can't seem to find any good resources explaining how to program shaders or optimize them. However, despite all the work making games is extremely fun. I mean, sure, sometimes during programming you come across a strange bug and it might take you literally days to solve it. But when you do, you can get right back on track and it feels very satisfying. There's almost nothing better than to have a working game you created.

I have actually completed a few games but none of them were supposed to be commercialized; there was a Star Wars game my twin and I made for our brother based on a tabletop rpg he ran for me, my twin, and his friends. We even got all of our roleplaying group to do voice recordings for the game for their characters, which was pretty fun and silly! :P The game definitely has some bugs, but that's mostly because Dare (my twin) and I decided to make it for Bayden's (our brother) birthday a week before it was his birthday. We actually took a bit longer, about a week and a half of non-stop work, and we definitely stole some sprites from the internet and some midi files which we turned into 8-bit style music. But the game turned out pretty well!

So I love making games and I plan on making more of a career out of it... I just haven't quite gotten to that stage yet. It's in the works though, someday I might have a kickstarter or something up and running for one of these games when it is much more complete.

My Character

There is always hope.

- Aragorn, Lord of the Rings

Cool.

I've always got ideas for games that pop into my head.

Right now I'm toying with the idea of a simple 2D (maybe one day 3D) puzzle game. If i ever complete it think flash or mobile gaming. Basically it's a way more complicated version (and i think way cooler version) of a candy crush type of game.

Right now I'm just designing and sketching out the idea. I'm also trying to pick software to do some prototyping. Lately I've been toying with Stencyl. It's kinda fun, no coding needed. And free until you publish. The downside is I use Linux and it doesn't work well sometimes.

But i haven't had time to really focus on it. Finishing a masters right now.

And yeah toying with the possibility of making at least a modest career/living from it.

=====================================================================================================

--Stronkey Kong--