Forums are back in action! ×

Resistance Band usage :D

I am almost a little embarrassed to be asking these questions, but I'm totally new to this and want to make sure I'm starting out right.

I'm going to be starting the Rebel Fitness Guide on Rookie work out next week on Wed :D so I have been going through the work outs and have a few questions.

I have a set of 'adjustable' resistance bands and want to make sure I'm thinking correctly on how to use them instead of dumbbells (which are not in the budget this close to Christmas) which Steve says can totally be done, but there isn't a lot of guidance there.

My bands are 'adjustable' in that they came with 3 bands that you get to pick which one you want to clip on to use: Light, medium, heavy. It is my understanding that the shorter the band is when you are using it the more resistance is there. Does that sound correct?

My main concerns:

For the straight leg dumbbell deadlift (for example) I would want a majority of the slack in the band caught between my feet so that I am working against tension the entire way?

For a one arm dumbbell row should I put the extra length under the foot on the ground or try something more complicated like sliding it under the thing I am using for a 'bench' so that the resistance is in the right direction? Or am I just OVERTHINKING everything?? LOL

And finally for Chops at this point I should just break out a jug of water or something and not mess with the bands at all?

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer, I'm feeling anxious :D

I am my own evil twin!

~~ Paleo Challenge! ~~ Blog ~~

It is my understanding that the shorter the band is when you are using it the more resistance is there. Does that sound correct?

Yes, assuming they start at the same tension level. Hooke's law, F=kx, is force is equal to the spring constant multiplied by distance. So, if they're both relaxed, the shorter one will move more throughout the exercise than the longer one and will require more force to get to the top of the exercise.

My main concerns:

For the straight leg dumbbell deadlift (for example) I would want a majority of the slack in the band caught between my feet so that I am working against tension the entire way?

For a one arm dumbbell row should I put the extra length under the foot on the ground or try something more complicated like sliding it under the thing I am using for a 'bench' so that the resistance is in the right direction? Or am I just OVERTHINKING everything?? LOL

I've always heard that resistance bands should be in tension throughout the exercise. To me, this makes sense, as weights don't all of the sudden weigh nothing at the end of the set.

As for the dumbell row, I don't think it matters too much since the angles should be close to the same. But try both and use the one that's harder to do.

And finally for Chops at this point I should just break out a jug of water or something and not mess with the bands at all?

I'd stick with the bands. I don't know the actual weight, but I'm sure you can get more "weight" out of the resistance bands than the ~8 lbs a gallon of water has. If the bands are too easy by themselves, just hold onto both the bands and a jug of water.

I've always heard that resistance bands should be in tension throughout the exercise. To me, this makes sense, as weights don't all of the sudden weigh nothing at the end of the set.

This is actually the advantage that resistance bands have over freeweights - your muscles are under tension throughout he range of motion.

Resistance bands are awesome when you are traveling or on a budget as they can be used anywhere, and allow you to add resistance to bodyweight work. You can get very creative with them - I MacGyver'd a lat pulldown exercise by looping the ends of the band around a staff.

Repairing a lifetime of bad habits...

Back in college about 20 years ago a bunch of us went to the drug store and bough a bunch of surgical tubing and tied one end to a tree and did all types of extensions, squats, DLs. The most fun though was tying one end to a tree and the other to your waist and sprinting away at full speed under resistance. That really helped me with take-offs in martial arts or "blitzes" as we called them. Sometimes I would lose my footing which was always good for a cheap laugh.

i don't care what u think of me. unless u think i'm awesome. in which case u're right.

Intro - Workout Log - ABS Log - Fitness Philosophy - Accountability - NERDEE - Weight Maintenance