Forums are back in action! ×

Greetings from Tombo of Endor

Soooo I summoned up my courage and registered and then ... promptly found out that I'd quite accidentally used, in my "persona" name, an element of someone else's name here.  SIGH.  Now feeling about yea [indicates 3"] tall ... sorry, Endor!  In 300-some posts I can change it!  :)

I call myself Tombo of Endor and I am old enough to have seen STAR WARS  *first run.*  As a teenager!  Whoa!  Like, old as dirt!  (Well, mid-50s.)  I grew up at a time when being obese -- and I was -- got you bullied and accused of moral failure (that gluttony thing).  My dad was likewise obese and died about 10 years ago of cardiac trouble ... my mom had a 4x bypass in 2001.  I weighed 220 pounds my sophomore year in high school in the mid-70s. 

I am a former research subject for the National Weight Control Registry because in my last phase of getting down to an ideal weight, I lost 40 pounds and have kept it off.  But at this point in my life, with so much new research on obesity and insulin resistance and & c. available, what I am now is my own "test subject" for tweaks and edits in composition and "eating periodicity."  As Dr. Peter Attia calls it:  "N=1."  (Look him up when you get the chance.)  My biggest challenge is *keeping the weight off* while I manage my energy level and nutrition. 

And ... a confession:  I LOVE BEER I LOVE BEER I LOVE BEER.  Alas for my current low-carb discipline :(

Last year when I turned 54 I "gave myself" 20 weeks of one-hour weekly personal training.  I loved my trainer even though there was a 30-year difference in age between us.  He taught me "O lifting" because my predominant body composition, even for a woman, is that of muscle and wiry strength.  I managed pull-ups at one point in my training (OMG!!!) and learned deadlifting, squatting, cleans/hang-cleans, etc.  I would be back at the gym in nothing flat ... but my life's priorities right now don't flex for a lot of time away from home after work.

BUT I have a complete "torture chamber" in my basement, with kettlebells, dumbells, a deadlift bar (ROGUE bumper plates), a bench, slabs of weight plates, a bar dedicated to overhead presses and front squats ... and an ancient 12-speed I can ride when I need, at 5am, black coffee, ear buds, and Metallica, in order to get through the day ahead.  I miss the social reinforcement of the gym and I think Nerd Fitness is that fabulous "accountability community" that everyone needs on their journey to health and empowerment ... 'cause 5am in your basement can be a dark and brooding place.  The demons of "Why bother?" sometimes gather thickly and laugh evily in the dark, damp corners ...

So Tombo of Endor, who "grew up" playing D & D in college, and Ars Magica and Mechwarrior long before there was WOW or anything similar ... is delighted to have seen the "Join The Rebellion!!!" poster in the cantina on Coruscant.  :)  I hope this won't involve too much of a haircut ... :)

Guild choice:  Warriors I hope.  But we'll see if I make it through my first Six Week Challenge! 

• Like 2

Human ... Guinea Pig

"Discovery requires experimentation."  -- Dr. Werner Reinhardt, HYDRA.

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/67455-legio-ix-aux-equus-albus-ludus/

I am back here for round 2. Found NF last year when my high school kids wouldn't have a gym for the summer. Messed up a lot, slunk off w/ my tail between my legs (metaphoricly speaking...) couple of years older than you (b; 1958) people here are tres-cool! Very supportive, too.

I don"t work out per se.. I put down that I want to do warm-up 5 times a week and my daughter thought it was too little.. But doing that is a big step for me.

Been hanging out with Adventurers and RPG Fanatics mostly because I resonate best with those guys. Spend some time "stalking" the guilds. Find "your people".

Aren't you a little tall to be an ewok

(just sayin' . . .)

welcome to the rebellion , may you find what you're looking for -- and some things you might need.

ADVENTURER

now