Forums are back in action! ×

Told them I'd have a six pack, didn't happen

Hi! My name is Andrew. Towards the beginning of this year, or maybe it was at the end of last year, I told all my friends that I would have a six pack by the end of this year. I think I was thinking that, since I had told everyone, I would be motivated to work out. I wouldn't like to be called a liar. That was my thought process.

Anyway, it is now June, and I still have that comfy walrus blubber that people like to sleep on but never would really call "sexy".

My takeaway from joining NerdFitness about a week ago: Don't start by biting out something bigger than you can chew. It is not disgraceful or stupid to start with modest goals and work your way up.

Getting back on Shadowfax! But instead of starting by riding bareback, I'm going to start by riding with a saddle. And training wheels. And about 50 straps and buckles and safety knots. And a pillow suit of armor.

What say you, people of Meh?

Meh.

Meh.

:numbness:  :numbness:  :numbness: We are not roused. :numbness:  :numbness:  :numbness: 

Yeah! It's always easier to start with bite-sized attainable goals. That way, you feel like your constantly succeeding, instead of depressingly far from your goal.

6 months is a pretty long time. Depending on how much "walrus blubber" you have, and how determined you are to get it off, you might still make your year-end goal. But, don't start with that in mind. Decide whether you want to focus more on losing fat or on gaining muscle and strength, and build your bite-sized goals around that. For example, if you're already pretty strong, but just need to shed extra weight in your middle, you should probably count calories and eat at deficit (fewer calories in than out). You can measure your middle with a cheap cloth tape measure, and make a goal to lose 1 inch per month, or something like that. Weekly measurings will help you see if you're on the right track - and it feels great when you see the measurements going down!

If you don't have all that much fat, but you're not that strong, then making a schedule of working out at least 3x per week is definitely what you should focus on! Since you're interested in abs, a core-centric program is probably for you. Planks, squats, pushups... all of these work your core. Actually, most full-body exercises will be great for your core, but the highly-focused machines at the gym are the best at not working your core, but only one specific muscle group. So if a 6-pack is what you crave, look into bodyweight progressions. The good news is that it's really easy to see progress with bodyweight exercises. Once you have a good grasp on one version of an exercise, you bump it up to the next harder version. It's a good feeling to progress. :)

Probably, you'll want to do some combination of counting calories and bodyweight exercise. It's actually pretty easy! That hard part is making the habit to count calories every day and work out 3x per week. If you really want to boost your motivation, you could set some arbitrary goal ("I'll be able to do 20 pullups" or "I'll weigh x lbs" or "I'll have a size x waist") with a due date of Jan 1, and actually get your friends to put money on it. Then, not only will you be called a liar if you don't stick with it, you'll owe them cash!

If you are doing something, particularly fitness related goals, for other people, it's a recipe for failure. 

Do it for yourself. I personally don't like anyone knowing, including my wife, what my current fitness goals. For me, fitness is my "superhero alter ego".

First decide if you want to lose or gain weight: This is driven by how much you eat.

Then, pick fitness related goals for you training (bench bodyweight, deadlift 3 plates, run a 6 minute mile) , then gear your training towards that. 

Even if you goal is completely aesthetic, you should center your training with other goals in mind.

Good Luck! 

Fatherx4/Husband/Doctor/Superhero

6'2/205lbs/15% BF

Squat 330 / Deadlift 430 / Bench 275 / OH press 175

Heroes are made by the paths they chose, not by the powers they are graced with"

These guys nailed it, I just wanted to chime in and welcome you to the rebellion.  I 100% agree with the advice they gave you.  Fitness has to be done for you - if you want a six pack then you'll be more motivated to get it done. If you're just trying to accomplish it for someone else then it's less likely to happen (not impossible, but motivation tends to come more easily for personal reasons).  In six months, you could definitely see some major changes if you decide to commit.  However do it for you not for anyone else.  You don't have to have a six pack if your goal is just excellent personal fitness.  It's okay to change tacks if you actually don't want to do it anymore.  If you do want a six pack, sometimes it can feel that a goal is just to big to achieve and in that case I'd recommend mini goals that get you started in that direction but that feel more achievable.  Once you make a few of those goals you'll find that momentum will build and you'll make huge progress quickly.  Best wishes in your fitness adventures. :)

-Artemis   

"Fairy tales are more than true not because they tell us dragons exist, but because they tell us dragons can be beaten"  -Neil Gaiman

Mandalorian Assassin: Level 5

Current Challenge - Artemis becomes Mandalorian

Overall Weight Loss Journey: Starting Weight -     Current Weight -    Goal -160lbs

I almost flamed out of my very first challenge for making my goals a little too big for what I was ready for.  Baby steps may not seem badass or hardcore but they sure pave the way for you to accomplish some badass things!!

Welcome and good luck in your goals; crush 'em!!

Tell me, if you had the strength to take another step, could you do it?

Level ?? Bard & Monk of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

Try a series of 6 week challenges on the boards here. 6 weeks is a nice sweet spot that's enough time to see big changes, but still short enough to require immediate action. Having an epic quest is great, but you need to break it down to appreciate your progress. You might have to save Hyrule from Gannon, but there are individual triforce pieces, elemental stones, and sage seals to help you mark your progress along the way

Azotus

Human Assasin

My Assasin 6WC

"Ask not for lighter burdens, but for stronger shoulders"