Forums are back in action! ×

I read RebelFitness weekly and have started lurking around the forums just this week. I figured I should introduce myself since I finally decided to stop researching and start using the information I've learned here to change my life.

So… let's start with introductions; I'm John - 25, 5' 11", 232 lbs.

Quick background - I've always been overweight. I never learned how to play sports and/or had kids to play with growing up so as I hit my teen years I spent most of them either working, studying or playing video games... oh and of course eating. By the time I was 18 I had reached about 275lbs and held this for a year. Life was full of eating out at all hours of the day and night with friends and a lot of pizza consumption. I don’t remember what I did but when I finally had to buy size 42 waist pants I figured out how to get some weight off me which got me to the 220-240 range that I’ve held for the last five years.

So this year the motivation to change my life hit me suddenly in January when one of my best friends, Katy, died of cancer - unexpectedly. She was diagnosed on a Monday and died the following Friday morning where her family was kind enough to allow me to spend the final hours of her life with her. Watching her pass was a moment that I'll never forget and it was the catalyst to begin changing my life.

The hospital that took care of her for that week hosts a charity bike ride yearly (Pelotonia) and 100% of the proceeds go to cancer research. I felt this was the best way I could channel my grief and desire to make a difference in other peoples lives. I had not rode a bike since my childhood but I signed up to ride 180 miles, 9000 feet of climb in two days and raise $4000.00.

Training was the easy part but I never changed my diet. I ate well while on the bike but before, after and every other moment of my life was still filled with all the wrong food.

Thankfully with the support of a local riding team who adopted me (as a “fat kid†I never saw myself being invited to join a cycling team) I crossed the finish line day 2 with my team in one piece but in severe pain.

I never recovered and ended up later that week seeing a doctor and physical therapist. The verdict - I lack upper body strength, core strength and the excess weight around my stomach really did a number on my back. I was forbidden from my bike and was told to lose weight and given a list of PT exercises to do at home between sessions.

Fast forward to today - I'm fully recovered (no weight loss) but told I must increase my upper body strength and lose weight. Enter NerdFitness – I am “weight lifting stupid†as I like to put it so I’m hoping that I can work through the fitness guide and gain some strength and I’ve decided to give Paleo a shot. I don’t really have a support system so I’m hoping that posting on the forum will help me feel more accountable and give me a place to ask questions - since I’ve read that this is important when making these type of changes.

There’s my really long intro… if you’ve made it this far I’m impressed!

Later!

John

Read every word and it was riveting. Thanks for sharing something so personal with us. I think Katy gave you a gift as she passed away and I look fwd to seeing what you are going to do with it. Although it was a tragedy, I can see that you are thankful for having had the opportunity to know her. Hope you reach your goals and live an epic life to write an appropriate ending to this story. Good luck and welcome.

i don't care what u think of me. unless u think i'm awesome. in which case u're right.

Intro - Workout Log - ABS Log - Fitness Philosophy - Accountability - NERDEE - Weight Maintenance