Forums are back in action! ×

I have never been fit. My life has basically been filled with broken bones, health disasters, and other illnesses. I spent most of my younger years on my bed drawing and reading an endless stream of sci-fi books. I did do karate and then kung fu as a teen, but that ended rather abruptly when I dislocated my knee and tore my meniscus. Things went downhill from there.

In my late 20s I was diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome - Hypermobility type. Basically, it's a genetic disorder that causes faulty collagen. I'm super bendy and can do some rad party tricks - but being a mutant isn't all it's cracked up to be. I have grown weaker as I age, I have to be careful not to fall, I bruise easily, and my joints spontaneously dislocate. I'm 30 with the joints of an 80 year old according to my doctor.

Due to my various health problems I've become very unhealthy. Blood tests show high cholesterol, but a normal risk rate. My blood pressure is fine, and I'm not anywhere on the scale for diabetes, but chronic pain has made it difficult for me to cook or exercise. I'm 5'4" and weigh 300 lbs.

Recently I transferred to a university and now have free access to a gym where I can use strength training machines. I know that this community looks down on them, but currently I have to be careful not to drop a weight on my body if one of my joints give out. I hope to become strong enough to one day lift barbells. On the other hand, I have to be realistic about what my joints and spine can handle.

Today I received a big push towards hope that I can become healthy! I've only worked out a week, but I was able to jog up the stairs in my house without stopping or being super out of breath at the top.

• Like 2

Lose 100 lbs

0%
0%

Walk from New Crobuzon to Myrshock - 750 miles

.1%
.1%

You have my full support. I hope you stay dedicated enough to progress slowly, but steadily. But I have no doubt that you'll keep coming back to NF and going back to the gym, as the positive energy around here and the health benefits you'll reap will quickly become addictive :)

• Like 2

Steve actually made the qualification in his post way back when about machines that in some instances, such as yours, they may be what is needed.  You are awesome, many people with conditions less severe than yours don't even try to make changes.  Keep up the good work, and we will be here to support you.

• Like 2

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Sorry miss! And i and steven will disagree with this i but machines are totally overlooked in many occassions in training of healthy individuals.

Telephonoscope i won't dare to give you training tips as i am heavy trainer and my tips towards training could actually damage your health. I could suggest that you find best pt and physician you find and make them meet what they can do to you. Spontaneus mislocating can be helped a lot in normal people. I can't promise that on your account but professionals might be able to help you better. Otherwise with food and psyching, i'll help you the best i can!

Vegito, help with food would be greatly appreciated! 

Unfortunately, EDS is rarely diagnosed, and not many doctors know what to do about it. My doctor pretty much just does whatever the latest research I bring him tells him to do. 

You are right that PT is good for people with conditions like mine, and actually I have had physical therapy It was really beneficial - but it was done in a warm salt-water pool (chlorine pools give me a horrible rash for some reason). I wish I could continue to do that, but it costs far too much money to have a warm pool membership in my city, and I'm landlocked. Other than a crowded beach or two, there are no big bodies of water to swim in. I'm pretty much on my own on figuring out my own physical therapy. I watch PT videos on youtube and kind of parse out my own stuff.

Lose 100 lbs

0%
0%

Walk from New Crobuzon to Myrshock - 750 miles

.1%
.1%

Losing weight is a great goal, because you instantly feel stronger in your own body. Plus, it will help joints immensely. The forum is full of great advice on that front.

And I will second (or third, or fourth at this point lol) the defense of weight machines. They are great for rehab, especially when your joints are compromised, because they keep things in one line of motion and don't overstress your stabilizer muscles before you're ready.

Chronic pain is a big challenge too. I had uncontrolled moderate fibromyalgia for almost a year, causing me joint pain, sleep problems, and headaches. It was hard to do most of life's tasks like cooking. I'd take shortcuts, and I used to have no willpower left to the no to easy fast food or 3 peanut butter and jelly sandwiches on lieu of a real dinner. Even standing over the stove was too much strain on my back and shoulders. It's hard, but a combination of life hacks and grit got me through it.

You've got a great community here! Never feel like you're asking too many questions or checking in too much, one of the nice things about nerds is that we love to give advice (sometimes unsolicited lol). Welcome to NF!

• Like 1

Azotus

Human Assasin

My Assasin 6WC

"Ask not for lighter burdens, but for stronger shoulders"