Forums are back in action! ×

Feanor's origin trilogy

Allow myself to introduce...myself. I'm Jesse, aka Feanor. I'm a husband, a dad, a professional nerd (software engineer), a musician (out of practice), and a bad movie geek. My forum name is Elvish, by which you may also infer that I'm a Tolkien fan, but I'm not a zealot about books vs. movies.

My origin story is one of many victories and setbacks, like many others here. I started life as a chubby child and grew to be a chubby teenager, but I started wrestling in high school because I had a friend on the team and it changed my life. I was active, super fit, and stronger than I had every been (not great at wrestling, but you can't win them all). 

Then I hurt my ankle. I tore my ACL a few years later. Fitness was pushed to the background as I progressed through college, then marriage, then college again (while working full time). I tried sporadically to work out but never stuck with it.  I eventually graduated and got a job as a software dev; the commute was terrible and I was gone all the time. The following year, my first daughter was born. A few months later, my dad died suddenly. After all this, one day I found myself looking at the scales having tipped over the 300# mark.

I finally got it together and for about 8 months locked down the diet, started lifting weights, put on about 20 pounds of muscle and lost 40 pounds of fat, and got in a really good place. Then I had a sinus infection that lasted for 6 weeks, the diet went to hell, and I gained it all back (though I managed for quite a while). Finally, I was lifting weights again and had great success until I had surgery for carpal tunnel syndrome on both hands at the end of last year. 

So that's a lot of history. I have not yet reached the end of my wanderings, but I am still here. I've learned a lot from my failures and I think eventually consistency will win out. MrsFeanor (my companion in love and life) has been getting connected here and thought it would be good for me as well. Looking forward to doing something worthy of a song.

• Like 3

Welcome aboard, glad to have you. Fellow Tolkein lover here.  You are in the right place to get back in the saddle again, most of us have gone back and forth like you have. Life happens, so happen to life.  Glad to have you.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Welcome aboard, glad to have you. Fellow Tolkein lover here.  You are in the right place to get back in the saddle again, most of us have gone back and forth like you have. Life happens, so happen to life.  Glad to have you.

Thanktimus, Tanktimus!

I'll show myself out.

1479.gif

• Like 1