Forums are back in action! ×

Hi! 

I've been creeping behind the scenes of Nerd Fitness for a couple months now, and just decided it's time to actually become part of the community. I am a 20 year old nerd, who has a slew of bad health habits that need to be taken care of. I have to deal with anxiety and bi-polar disorder on the daily, and I have been letting that be my excuse to not try to better myself. I feel good now though and I'm going to roll with it. 

I'm a smoker, I binge drink more than once or twice a week, and I can sit on my couch with an Xbox controller in hand without being bothered by the fact I haven't moved in 7 hours. I know I need to start moving towards a healthy lifestyle now, before I'm 40, and miserable. So I'm starting with baby steps right now.

I'm going to start by changing my eating habits from whatever I can microwave in under 5 minutes, to real food. I'm definitely a novice when it comes to cooking, so my goal here is to learn new, healthy recipes. 

I also want to find a form of exercise that I truly enjoy. I've tried a good range of cycling, weight lifting, running, yoga, and I haven't found one that feels good. I always end up feeling miserable when I work out and I want to change that. 

Obviously the smoking and drinking need to stop as well, but I'm struggling with those a lot right now.  

Thank you for reading my rant, and I'd love to hear from people who are going through the same changes so we can talk and work together!!!

Welcome aboard. You are right in that you don't want to change too much, too fast.  It's not surprising you feel bad after workouts, when you do something for the first time it's always hard. Maybe you were trying to do too much too soon.  Take a look on the blog at beginner workouts, see one that works for you, and don't try to do everything the first time.

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Yes I'm trying to start doing the beginner work body weight workout, and also I've start adding more veggies and fruit to my diet. I know I need to take things slow, because whenever I try to start too much at once I fail miserably when it gets hard. Thank you for your advice! 

Hey, it's nice to meet you.  I feel you on some of these struggles, especially when it comes to food.  I'm the worst cook because I'm so lazy.  Maybe if we come upon healthy recipes, we can share with each other, and maybe even take pictures of the cooking results to help keep us on track.  Just a suggestion - no pressure or anything!  I actually don't even have the internet right now and have to go to places to connect onto free wifi, so I'm not very available all the time online.

I also feel you on the drinking.  You'll get there though, one way or another.   Just the fact that you acknowledge it is a great first step.  Alcohol is a big part of my current job, and since I started working there I went from rarely drinking to drinking a lot.  And then I found I enjoyed the tipsy drunk feeling, and it got worse where I felt I had to be drunk to have fun.  I finally hit my low at a concert a few weeks ago.  I remember the first two songs and the very last one.  Everything in between is a complete black out.  And while trying to get home, I almost got raped.  It scared me really bad, and now I don't touch a drop, even when being offered drinks after my shift is over.  I hope to keep it that way, or at least learn "in moderation".

As for a form of exercise, maybe try something completely different?  I'm no expert at any of this being a newbie myself, so there's a good chance this is me just talking, but maybe exercise with a touch of adventure will kickstart you into something you like.  I for one want to go to a wall climbing gym.  I'm scared of heights, but it sounds so much more fun than sitting on a bicycle.  I'm sure there are a lot of people here that will be able to give you great suggestions and tips to try.  I know I'm looking forward to them as well!

Best of luck to you on your journey!

Here's a helpful tip for the culinary-impaired.  Bag of frozen veggies+tuna or salmon=Meal.  If you want you can add seasonings/sauces (as long as they are real food) for texture and flavor. (be sure to nuke the veggies or you'll be eating veggie-cicles)

It works for me and I'm decent at cooking more elaborate things.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath