Forums are back in action! ×

Hello (I can't think of an epic tagline)

Hello, I just joined yesterday but I was thinking about how I'd introduce myself without coming across as whiny. :tongue:

I'm 24 (Male) and I was never consistently involved in sports growing up. In primary school we used to go swimming as a class once a week, that's probably the closest I've ever come to consistent exercise that wasn't strictly a P.E class. I really like swimming....but the only swimming pool within walking distance of where I live (there aren't many buses) is in this really posh expensive hotel. :(

I'm not obese or anything, I probably wouldn't even be considered that large but I do have a roundish belly (I think it's called a beer belly) and a general chubbiness. (I was chubbier when I was younger though)

My mental health is even more important to me right now than my physical health. I need to learn how to respect myself because I don't think I'm doing that at all currently. I also think I struggle with ambition and drive, the idea that I need to do things that are good for me. Things that will improve my life. Lately I've been starting to feel very crazy.....I think I've put myself in a box. 

I'm really glad I found this site, I had been doing research for about a week and I was starting to think I'd have to become a gym addict in order to be healthier and happier with myself. 

Some other things about me:

Fitness: Largely non-existent. I did a muscle workout haphazardly the other day and felt like jello afterwards. I didn't even do a full circuit. I think my muscles didn't know what was going on at all. 

I climbed a mountain once with my dad though. It was a sort of religious retreat. (I'm not very religious but he wasn't either, he just wanted the challenge) 

Height: About 5 foot 5 inches

Weight: 10 stone and 2 pounds the last time I checked.

Favourite Video Games: Ace Attorney, Super Smash Bros, Pokemon, Zero Escape (My favourite game genres are RPGs and Point and Click games)

Favourite TV Shows: The Flash, Orphan Black, Once Upon A Time, Adventure Time, Avatar (Last Airbender and Korra)

Favourite Colour: Orange 

"When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change" - Aang

Welcome aboard. You are in the right place to find a way that will work for you to get to fitness. you are also in a place where we will accept you and help you along in your journey of mental health. Some of us also struggle with self perception.  You are not alone.

Here's a suggestion on the road to respecting yourself. Imagine if you did respect yourself, what kinds of messages would you be telling yourself?

Start writing them down each day. It will feel artificial at first, but keep doing it. Eventually you will begin to believe it and actually respect yourself.  There's a good chance you'll need more help after that, but this will be a first step in the right direction.

You can do this.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

I did my first proper workout today. (http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/) It was a bit of an unorganized mess though. I forgot how to do some of the moves and I don't think I did all of them properly. Not to mention there are people I live with who were bothering me while I was in the middle of doing it. 

I did one circuit and a bit before it fell apart. I was certainly sweating though, so it's a start. 

I did my second workout today. Somehow I managed to do two circuits, although the walking lunges gave me some trouble. My legs just stopped cooperating with me. :( So I didn't finish them during the first circuit but then the second time around I tried putting my hands on my knees when I did them and for some reason it made my legs feel a little stronger. So I got through them the second time. 

I think I kinda cheated on the push ups, since I hit the ground a couple of times. 

I don't know, maybe I didn't recover fully from Wednesday? I felt like I had less energy doing it today. I was doing the exercises even more haphazardly than during my first workout.

I switched from regular coffee to black coffee yesterday as well. It's not that bad.