Forums are back in action! ×

Hi from Denmark

Hi!

Geek programmer woman here. This website i so cool. I like the nerd approach a lot. I need some more muscle on my body! I am so weak I cannot do a single pushup. While cardio is no problem - I bike everywhere and run with the dog, I simply need more muscle. I am starting out on the basic training and thinking to move on to the Body Weight Brigade - I really like the freedom of not having to go to the gym. I have a membership I use for the occasional spinning session, so let's see if I get hooked and start going to the gym to lift weights at some point.

I am 36 years old, normal weight (77 kg/ 170 pounds) for my height (185 cm / 6 feet). I have a very healthy appetite and can easily out-eat big men, so the palio diet is something I am very curious to try out. I *love* meat, but lately I have become a little ethically concerned when I see how animals are treated. I will try to block that out. I would make a horrible vegetarian anyway!

Goals: Do 10 good-form pushups. To be able to lift myself up in a pull up bar (there is a long way to go for that)

Welcome!

Don't block out how animals are treated! Choose what you eat with conscience. Usually small producers treat animals with more respect. Whether because of a moral choice or a realistic production quota is not of concern. As long as the animal wasn't mistreated and I respect the fact that an animal died to feed me, I'm at peace with it.

It's good to hear you care. Again, welcome :)

Welcome!

I'm gonna chime in and agree with mcdrew. I spent several years as a vegetarian for ethical reasons (and my health majorly suffered as a result), so when I started to eat meat again I was very careful where I sourced my meat and eggs from. Today I only buy meat from my local butcher and I know exactly where it's coming from. I know that the animals were not mis-treated in any way and I know that the entire animal has been used in some way, so I feel like it's life hasn't gone to waste. This is really the only way I can reconcile eating meat for myself.

Best of luck with your goals!

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me lies an invincible summer." - Albert Camus

"Moving on and Moving up" Challenge

Welcome! In my experience in Denmark (Admittedly it was a while ago) the animal farms were generally some of the best I've seen anywhere. I visited some relatives in Alborg (can't do the right A) who were pig farmers and were really impressed with their facilities. If you're getting from butchers in your area, I'm pretty sure it's probably been pretty well treated.

Thanks for the replies on animal welfare. Denmark is pretty restrictive, and I guess I will just have to learn to get meat in places I feel I can vouch for. Luckily I also love fish (actually I love anything with a bunch of protein), so I will try to go for that a lot too.

Do you guys have an opinion on the paleo diet and the very little muscle exercise I do right now? I would hate to get fat from changing my diet to paleo and not burning enough calories. I mean the Basic Training is not a lot of training - even if it does feel that way for me.

If you're eating paleo, as long as you stop eating when you're full, and don't worry about regular meal times (that is, if it's noon you MUST HAVE LUNCH even if you're not hungry for it) you shouldn't have a problem with gaining weight. Because you won't eat more than your body needs because you'll be eating all these lovely nutrient-dense foods and filling fats.