Forums are back in action! ×

I read a quote recently that went something like this, "You are the average of the 5 people you hang out with most."

Even if this is remotely true it could be a huge factor in why I can’t seem to whip myself into the physical and mental shape that I aspire to. Over the years I have altered my diet in several ways, some of the major changes being I quit soda, quit coffee, quit wheat which solved a hell of a lot of the digestive problems I’ve had all my life. For a while I felt more healthy than ever. And I did it all alone, no support from family or friends. In fact, they take every opportunity to joke about my choices.

Despite all the changes I’ve managed on my own it is almost impossible to hold onto an exercise routine. I always throw in the towel because it feels pointless. I couldn’t understand why. After all the other life alterations, simply exercising a few times a week should be easy, right? Nope. It’s not so easy. And I couldn’t figure out why. When I read that quote above it rang so absolutely true. I suppose I already knew this on a subconscious level but to see those words reflected back at me was a eureka moment.

And so here I am. After all the searching and lurking for an online group of like minded people I’ve decided upon Nerd Fitness. I really love the idea of leveling up in life gamer style and hope that here I might find that little kick in the ass of motivation and support that I need. And if not, then at the very least I hope to become a better person physically, mentally, and maybe even spiritually, by hanging out with Nerd Fitness nerds the most.

My battle plans?
1300 calories a day.
Walk at least a one mile walk per day.
First Quest: I’ve chosen Adventurer, with possible evolution into Ranger or Scout.
Second Quest: Walked 20min/day the past three days & stuck to my one diet change of no eating after 9pm.
So far so good.

By the way, in case you hadn't guessed already, I’m Rayth.
I look forward to leveling up with yall.

Welcome aboard. Finding the community certainly helped me get going with fitness.  I also noticed after I stepped back from the community for a while (no fault of the community, time became an issue) my fitness dropped off some as well.  Glad to have you aboard.  The crabs in a bucket metaphor is always so apt where fitness is concerned. It's much easier to discourage someone from working out than to start working out oneself. 

You are now no longer a crab. You are awesome.

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

THank you Tanktimus. You really are an Encourager. :)

It's very good to know that the community helps that much. I need all the help I can get. So far this place is very inspiring and has me eager to to leveling up. And you are awesome for making me feel awesome. Thanks again.

Day 4

First Quest: Completed my 1st strength training workout the Beginner Bodyweight Workout.

Second Quest: I think lack of motivation is what is holding me back from the ideal fitness and life that I want to live. While this is a lack of motivation from my circle of people, it also means a lack of self motivation which I think is even worse. How can I sustain self motivation? Maybe by seeing results, maybe the weight loss jar of stones which will be a daily visual reminder that I am  working towards a goal and making progress.

Well done on doing the workout.  Keep it up.  You can do this.

Motivation can be tricky.  The biggest thing that has helped me be consistent is priorities.  I have prioritized my health. I see people who don't take care of themselves having health problems earlier than I think they should because they haven't cared for themselves.  Ultimately what it came down to for me is that I realized I cared about myself enough to take care of me.  A good analogy is when my parents gave me what I needed instead of what I wanted (vegetables instead of ice cream at dinner e.g.). Learn to love yourself.  True Self-love means giving yourself what you need, like good eating habits and exercise.  Giving only what you want, inactivity and unhealthy food, is like a parent spoiling or neglecting a child.

And since you are awesome, you will find a way to love yourself.  

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath