Forums are back in action! ×

Greetings and Salutations.

Hi Everyone,

I recently came across this site while looking for a beginner weights training program and it seems like this is somewhere I should hang out more, but as with all things I've seen it never quite what I after. I'll explain.

I'm a 40 year old techie from the UK, father of one and generally spend the majority of my working time sat down, so when I'm not at the office I like to sit down as little as possible.

My main fitness pass time is Kendo which I train twice a week. I've been doing Kendo for about 3 years and previous to this I did fencing for around 15 years. As such I really don't need a routine that involves much in the way of leg exercises, I get plenty of that with the Kendo and if my arms and upper body were as good as my legs I'd be a happy man.

I also manage to get out running with the dog at least twice a week if not 3 times. I don't feel like I'm unfit, just not particularly sharp.  

I'm after a recommendation on a weights program that I can mainly target my upper body and core.

I'm currently around 15.5 stone, 220 lbs or 100 KG. I know I eat a little too much of the wrong things but eating just salads has left me a little bored and unfocused.

I'm trying a new method of just cutting out lots of carbs and making lots of good smoothies for breakfast, homemade soups for lunch, but sometimes it gets the better of me.

Please, any recommendations of where to start.

My goals are:

Get to under 14 stone (I did do this at one point a long time ago) but if I increase muscle definition this isn't really an issue. 

Increase my fitness level.

Not look like a saggy mess with my shirt off.

Cheers and I look forward to looking through all the posts here.

Marc.

!m!

Welcome Marc!

Well, at least you are aware of your situation which is a good thing! And no need to go just by salads. :/ I personally dislike them a lot. Cutting sugar will help a lot!

Recovering from an epic clash with gravity, which I lost.

Nobody gets out of life, alive || Senpai noticed me! || Company of unemployed superheroes

Trying to get back on the forums and back in exercising in life any help motivation is welcome

Welcome.  For what it sounds like you want to do, pushups, pullups and planks might be a good thing to add into your routine. There are ways to make them more difficult if you need that.

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath