Forums are back in action! ×

Help me set a body fat percentage goal?

Hey Rebels,

Trying to figure out a body fat percentage goal that is realistic, yet challenging. The hand-held body fat tester at my gym said I was 25.9% last week. That lined up pretty well with the measurement formula. I used the calipers myself, which showed a lower number. But I'm pretty sure I just don't know how to use them correctly, so I'm just going to go with the 25.9%.

I'd like to set a goal for myself but I don't know where to begin. This month I'm just settling into a new routine (see my Battle Log here) for the most part. But in January I'd like to set a goal to lose a certain amount of body fat. I'm thinking I'd like to see 20%, but I have no idea how long that should take me. I'm doing a 5x5 routine MWF and this week plan to add in some low-level cardio. I'm eating on a primal diet, trying to stay around 1400 - 1700 calories a day, depending on my activity for the day.

Any assistance on setting a realistic goal would be appreciated.

-Damzie

"Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountain side..."

Goals: Training (and eating) for strength. 

Stats - 34 years old, 5'7" and 130lbs of woman. And growing.

PRs: 150 Squat, 165DL (have since fixed form but haven't retested 1RM),115lb Bench

Nerd credentials: Very loving relationship with LOTR and other such "nerdy" literature, 34 solid years of social awkwardness. 

Well, it sounds like you have a goal - 20%. As far as how long, that probably depends on how hard-core you go, diet wise rather than exercise wise. From what I understand it's not until you really hit the 'athletic' BF %'s that you really NEED to get exercising to fuel bf loss. Though I could be wrong...

i recently joined a gym and they took my bf and weight. based on my age (almost 27), they said i should be aiming for around 19% bf. i was later told by a friend that is studying to be a trainer that 19% may be a little low, depending on my aesthetic goals. but i'm guessing we're about the same age so 20% is probably good. according to the folks at the gym, this means i should go from 153 lbs to 135 to reach this bf goal (not sure how the math on that works). they recommend between 1-2 lbs of fat loss a week so looking at 10-20wks about.

again, not sure exactly how all this is calculated but perhaps it may give a guideline or two?

Well' date=' it sounds like you have a goal - 20%. As far as how long, that probably depends on how hard-core you go, diet wise rather than exercise wise.[/quote']

Yeah, I guess I'm just going to have to continue like I am for a while and see if I'm making any progress. I'll probably check in with the body fat monthly and make adjustments based on what I find. I'd like to set a goal like "20% body fat in x weeks," but I just don't know what's realistic given my current level of training and diet.

-Damzie

"Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountain side..."

PRs: 150 Squat, 165DL (have since fixed form but haven't retested 1RM),115lb Bench

Nerd credentials: Very loving relationship with LOTR and other such "nerdy" literature, 34 solid years of social awkwardness. 

i recently joined a gym and they took my bf and weight. based on my age (almost 27), they said i should be aiming for around 19% bf. i was later told by a friend that is studying to be a trainer that 19% may be a little low, depending on my aesthetic goals. but i'm guessing we're about the same age so 20% is probably good.

I think I will shoot for 20% and see what that looks like. (My goal isn't so much based on what I want to look like. I just want to set a goal that is a measurable indicator of my increased fitness. But I don't want to hate the way I look either.) Somebody shot me this link once, but I don't trust it. I'm 25% body fat now, and I don't look like the woman labeled as 25%.

-Damzie

The leigh peele is actually quite useful, as long as you have the same body fat patterns. However no two people are exactly the same, so you won't have the same body shape even at the same BF%.

Also; the hand-held testers are terrible, especially if your hydration is off. If you ask me, from your picture I would say you're lower than 25%.

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!