Forums are back in action! ×

I'm new here, but it looks like a good place to be

Hi all,

I've been seeking life-long habit changes to reach my fitness and physique goals for a long time now, so when I learned about nerdfitness.com and read the articles talking about exactly that, I got stoked!  So stoked that I'm here, now, with an account and everything.

About me:  I'm 6'0" 200 lbs. right now.  I'm a lifelong athlete who was always skinny (6'0" 145 lbs. in college thanks to swimming), and since I've reached my 30s and started a family the lack of time to work out has resulted in excessive weight gain.  I'd love to get down to 185-ish if I could.  Lately, my workouts have been having the opposite effect, and I've had to buy all new clothes and get my suits re-tailored because my back is so big.  I have a lot of trouble reducing caloric intake, and not enough time to overtrain those calories away, which is why I'm seeking out a support community such as this one.

Currently I'm doing:

deadlift 6 reps @ 315 lbs.

bench 10 reps @ 225 lbs.

squat 10 reps @ 225 lbs.

pullups:  12 reps @ bodyweight

I'm in the gym 3 nights/week for about an hour each time.  With the family and all, it's about the maximum amount of time I can commit to being outside of the home.

I don't consider myself out of shape, but this stubborn fat just won't go away and I'm definitely heavier than I'd like to be.  Oh, and yes, I have a sedentary desk job.

My goal is to get to a super low body fat %.  I'd love to get to a place where people ask me if I compete.  I used to be there, and then a torn rotator cuff sidelined me for long enough that I became complacent and didn't work out for several years.  It's fully healed now (total range of motion, full strength, no excuses), but the years of inactivity (and WoW, if I'm being totally honest) really hurt my health goals.

As of this email, I've been working out 3 times a week for 2.5 years.  I'd put myself into the "muscled but fat" category of body type.  I'm still making small gains on my strength, but my weight has been stable for 2 years and it's very, very frustrating.  Time to make a change.

Welcome aboard. You are already rocking out your strength training, the only thing you need to change is what you eat. Steve's blog has some great tips on healthy eating.

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath