Forums are back in action! ×

Free weights class at the gym?

Trying to do bodyweight exercise sessions hasn't generated much enthusiasm/consistency on my part so far, but it seems like conditioning/lifting is the way to go. I'm looking at a free weights class at my gym (called Group Power) as a different option. I've taken a few classes before and only have the memory of being sore as hell afterward (which means it's working right?) but I'm thinking having the class/group/non-solo atmosphere will help motivate me.

The weight lifting is all set to music, going through different sets of exercises, while the instructor is in front calling out instructions. I guess I'm worried about form and injuries and whether a class like this seems like a good idea? Anyone have thoughts on this?

~Miranda (aka Farax K)

Stars hide your fires for these here are my desires
And I won't give them up to you this time around
And so I'll be found with my stake stuck in the ground
Marking the territory of this newly impassioned soul ~ Mumford and Sons

Soreness means you used muscles you haven't used, in ways they aren't used to. Depends on your goals whether that is good or not. Most of the 'free weight' classes that I've seen are probably more oriented towards cardio then strength building. Which is not wrong or bad, just is. Try it. If you think you are hurting yourself, stop in the middle of the class and leave, apologize to the leader later...

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

It entirely depends on your classmates. If you get a good group, it can be the best thing ever. The healthy competition will drive you to excel as you work to beat out your peers as well as your PRs.

If the class is lifeless (like the people at the gym who spend more time on their iPhones), then you'll feel like you're wasting your time.

Repairing a lifetime of bad habits...

based on what you've said, i think i've taken classes like this before. i love them but it's different than regular weight lifting or even body weight work. the biggest difference for me (and this is certainly based on the instructor) is that in these classes, you don't usually have recovery time the way you do when you're lifting on your own. these classes tend to be a mix of cardio and weights (which i love because i always come away feeling like i really "did something") so you might start off with some cardio, go into 2-3 sets of one strength move (often without rest between), and then into a different move. these tend to be very much "work at your own pace"...i usually just try my best to keep up with the instructor but if i need to do something slower in order to keep good form/etc i do it. you choose the weights which, in these classes are usually fairly low. you might be able to snag some heavier dumbells from the weight area to use in the class or you might just need to stick with what is provided to you. don't worry, though, even light dumbells will make you burn in these classes.

one piece of advice, get a couple sets of weights to use in the class since some moves are harder than others and the variety can help you get the most from your workout.

good luck!

i have no input for this thread apart from to say that i freaking love your signature :D M&F ftw :D

Hehe, thanks for the signature love. :)

And thank you everyone else! It sounds like there's no red flags to stop me from giving it a shot. Your feedback and enthusiasm is making me jazzed up just thinking about it, so I will press forward! With my work schedule change starting at the beginning of next year now I really have no excuses. I gotta keep thinking muscles and not love handles for 2012.

~Miranda (aka Farax K)

Stars hide your fires for these here are my desires
And I won't give them up to you this time around
And so I'll be found with my stake stuck in the ground
Marking the territory of this newly impassioned soul ~ Mumford and Sons